Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Addendum for Jump from 152-162...Please Advise  (Read 763 times)

sdscott707

• View Profile
    • Email
Addendum for Jump from 152-162...Please Advise
« on: November 06, 2008, 06:11:40 PM »
I took the LSAT in September of 07 (152), and October of 08 (162). I know this jump speaks for itself, but I do want write an addendum. In all honesty, I was a senior and my roommates would get home at 5 am every night and wake me up, including the morning of the test.

I almost canceled my score, but realizing Law Schools take the highest score I thought I would see if I got lucky. I did not.

Here is my draft for an addendum. Please advise if I should change it to something more so along the lines, of "unfortunately I didn’t take this test seriously, I was underprepared, undereducated on the LSAT process, all because I knew I was going to take a year off to work and travel anyway, blah blah blah”… ."

Here is my first draft:

Dear Sir of Madam:

I am writing you to explain why my September 2007 LSAT score is not an accurate representation of my abilities.
Three weeks before the September 2007 LSAT, my grandmother was diagnosed with Lymphoma Cancer. I had been studying diligently for the months leading up to the test and was contempt with my progress. I deliberated a great deal on whether to cancel the test and retake it at a better time, as my thoughts were predominantly occupied by the potential loss of my grandmother. Nevertheless, after learning of the recent decision by many Law Schools to take the highest LSAT score instead of averaging them, as well as the months of preparation, I took the test, knowing full well it was not pristine test taking conditions. I scored far below my expectations.  Knowing this score was not an accurate reflection of my abilities, I took the LSAT again in October of 2008 and received a ten point score increase, and a score that is much more accurate as to my abilities then my previous LSAT.
I ask the committee to consider my second LSAT test as a more accurate indicator of my true abilities.

Does this work? Thanks amigos.

hitmon33

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Addendum for Jump from 152-162...Please Advise
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 06:28:58 PM »
Several grammatical and spelling errors in your draft.

I'm sure you meant "content."  Also, put "than," not "then."  For some reason, I think the explanation you provided this board would serve as a better addendum.  It seemed sincere.

sdscott707

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 06:39:48 PM »
I appreciate your response. There are several grammar/spelling mistakes that I will correct.

I have had a friend (1L at Boston College) review my addendum, and he feels that my addendum basically says" I studied pretty hard, thought everything went fine, and I was shocked at my score, but oh by the way, it doesn’t reflect my true abilities”…

I tried to fix it up a little bit so it doesn't sound like that, does anyone think it still conveys that message?

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 08:43:05 PM »
i would actually keep it shorter and simpler. says something like, "my grandmother was diagnosed with lymphoma three weeks prior to my september 2007 lsat. at the time, i believed i could still focus my energies and receive a representative score. in retrospect, i realize that my emotional state was an issue, so i retook in october 2008 and feel that score is much more indicative of my abilities under normal circumstances".

obviously, i'm not an adcom.but the part i think is weirdest is the "pristine test-taking conditions". law schools don't want to know how you could perform on the lsat in pristine conditions. i think it's better to characterize it as you being in some sort of state of shock and not realizing it at the time. for something like this, something shorter and more direct that tells them what you think without asking for pity or leeway.

Gone

• Sr. Citizen
  • Goodbye All!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 09:30:32 PM »
Use indicative instead of accurate. Cut the last sentence, don't tell the admissions committee how to do their job. They know what your addendum is asking them to do.
Best of luck to everyone!

Imperial Russian Stout!

• Sr. Citizen
  • The Evil Stork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 03:23:31 AM »
Not what you want to hear, but you want opinions...

Don't even bother man!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Seriously, 10 point jumps aren't flukes on the LSAT.  They're earned.  The numbers seriously, seriously, speak for themselves.  Why risk sending a statement that might rub some adcom the wrong way or be interpreted in a negative way?  Whatever you write is going to be skimmed over and boiled down to like 5-7 words in their minds.  First...messed up...second...better....duh.

IMO, if you're going to even bother writing an addendum for this reason, don't even bother with the "this one represents my abilities better" mumbo jumbo cute stuff.  Straight up tell them the reasons you messed up on your first one and move on.

I only tell people this stuff because adcoms will be reading piles of useless/needless addenda from people who have to compensate all sorts of insecurities, they all read the same, and you don't want to be part of that demographic.  Ivey advises against LSAT addenda for all cases except two: #1 Past, provable, history of poor performance on standardized exams and #2 English not being your native language.  Check out her book if you think I'm just another LSN lunatic.

Congrats on a 10 point jump, though.

DWIGHT SCHRUTE

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 08:12:59 AM »
take it one more time - improve by 10 points again. that will really speak for itself. simple as bears eat beets.

Gone

• Sr. Citizen
  • Goodbye All!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 08:50:32 AM »
Not what you want to hear, but you want opinions...

Don't even bother man!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Seriously, 10 point jumps aren't flukes on the LSAT.  They're earned.  The numbers seriously, seriously, speak for themselves.  Why risk sending a statement that might rub some adcom the wrong way or be interpreted in a negative way?  Whatever you write is going to be skimmed over and boiled down to like 5-7 words in their minds.  First...messed up...second...better....duh.

IMO, if you're going to even bother writing an addendum for this reason, don't even bother with the "this one represents my abilities better" mumbo jumbo cute stuff.  Straight up tell them the reasons you messed up on your first one and move on.

I only tell people this stuff because adcoms will be reading piles of useless/needless addenda from people who have to compensate all sorts of insecurities, they all read the same, and you don't want to be part of that demographic.  Ivey advises against LSAT addenda for all cases except two: #1 Past, provable, history of poor performance on standardized exams and #2 English not being your native language.  Check out her book if you think I'm just another LSN lunatic.

Congrats on a 10 point jump, though.

TITCR
Best of luck to everyone!