Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Diversity Statement needed?  (Read 5508 times)

misbuble

• View Profile
Diversity Statement needed?
« on: November 06, 2008, 05:20:50 PM »
I'm applying to GULC and Cornell, should I write a diversity statement as a white male?

jparsenal87

• AOL Instant Messenger - jparsenal87
    • View Profile
Re: Diversity Statement needed?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 11:39:29 AM »
Short answer - yes

jparsenal87

• AOL Instant Messenger - jparsenal87
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 12:12:10 PM »
Almost impossible to say without knowing you. Really be introspective, what is that one thing that might make you different from every other law student.

To give you an example, I also am a white, middle-class, male. I went to a private, ritzy east coast boarding school, and then "shocked the world" and attended a large public university in the west on a full scholarship (rather than heading for the ivies, etc). During my time in college, I have taught a class in the evenings to a group of VERY wealthy teenagers, and tutored in an inner-city middle school that is over 95% hispanic. For my diversity statement, I am writing about the disparities I have seen in our education system. But I am careful not to go off on a "social justice crusade" tangent. Instead, I simply say that my experiences have given me an appreciation for the opportunities I have had - and that you can be certain that I will not take my time in law school for granted.

It might notbe earth-shattering or get me in anywhere on its own; but it is true, and it is me. I think the most important thing about the DS is to come across sounding genuine.

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 11:36:10 PM »
Ok, here's the rule of thumb for statements: PS tells who you are, DS tells where you came from.

That means in you PS yes, you need to be current, within the last few years. the DS, however, can go as far back as you want, so long as it contributed to your world view, or who you are. It's not acceptable to talk about your great grandfather's immigration from ireland. Unless you grew up in a very Irish neighborhood or family, and it has affected you.
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.