Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Baylor Law School  (Read 1934 times)

ODGGPS85

• View Profile
Baylor Law School
« on: November 06, 2008, 12:33:14 PM »
Does anyone have any information on Baylor Law?  I realize they aren't going to place as well as UT, but they seem to have a good trial advocacy program.

Any Baylor law students out there that might be able to way in?

Thanks

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Baylor Law School
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 04:36:14 PM »
Places behind SMU, UH, UT, and often TT/ST.

Costs quite a bit.

Is in Waco - has a reputation for miserable students.  (every student I've known there has been miserable)

Betty_Crocker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 06:27:02 PM »
Does anyone have any information on Baylor Law?  I realize they aren't going to place as well as UT, but they seem to have a good trial advocacy program.

Any Baylor law students out there that might be able to way in?

Thanks

Like every response given in law school, "it depends." If you get a lot of scholarship money, you really want to litigate, and you don't care about what city in Texas you want to practice in, Baylor can be a really good choice. Baylor is not going to open as many doors in cities like Dallas and Houston as do schools like SMU and UH, but you will get one hell of an experience. Again, you are going to have to ask yourself, where you want to practice, how much debt are you willing to take, and what kind/type of law you want to pursue. All I know is that Baylor is hardcore especially during your 3L year and Baylor has the toughest professors in Texas (especially when it comes to socratic time in class). But as an SMU Law alum, I have no first hand knowledge to impart on you about Baylor specifics. 

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 06:52:26 PM »
Like every response given in law school, "it depends." If you get a lot of scholarship money, you really want to litigate, and you don't care about what city in Texas you want to practice in, Baylor can be a really good choice. Baylor is not going to open as many doors in cities like Dallas and Houston as do schools like SMU and UH, but you will get one hell of an experience. Again, you are going to have to ask yourself, where you want to practice, how much debt are you willing to take, and what kind/type of law you want to pursue. All I know is that Baylor is hardcore especially during your 3L year and Baylor has the toughest professors in Texas (especially when it comes to socratic time in class). But as an SMU Law alum, I have no first hand knowledge to impart on you about Baylor specifics. 

It depends on what you mean by "litigate" - their advocacy program is more da prep than corplit prep.

tcwhat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 08:47:01 AM »

Costs quite a bit.

Is in Waco - has a reputation for miserable students.  (every student I've known there has been miserable)

Waco is god awful.

But Lubbock is ten times worse - at least Waco has Austin or Dallas (somewhat) nearby.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 09:46:32 AM »

I disagree that it places behind South Texas, but certainly behind SMU/UH/UT. Waco is where the fun goes to die. Seriously- don't ever commit to the school without spending some time there.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

okayplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 09:53:58 AM »
Plus they just lost their bar passage crown yesterday...in fact they weren't even in second; behind SMU(first) and Houston.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 11:46:20 AM »

I disagree that it places behind South Texas, but certainly behind SMU/UH/UT. Waco is where the fun goes to die. Seriously- don't ever commit to the school without spending some time there.

This year is looking particularly bad for Baylor.

hopeful1985

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 01:21:43 AM »

This year is looking particularly bad for Baylor.

what do u mean?

Clayton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008, 02:02:01 PM »
Baylor may have a good trial advocacy program, but I would take that with a grain of salt. Why? Because the overwhelming majority of cases never make it to trial, most are settled.