Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Importance of PS for me?  (Read 410 times)

thepickle

• View Profile
    • Email
Importance of PS for me?
« on: November 06, 2008, 12:29:38 PM »
This is probably sacrilege to ask. I have a 172 LSAT, and a 3.9 LSAC GPA. When I started the whole law school process, Georgetown was my dream school - but after getting my LSAT back, I figured I had a shot at some higher ranked school. Trouble is, I certainly don't have great work experience or EC's (started one club, and tutor), so I'm stressing out about my PS. I have never been great at writing personal papers, and I don't have any incredible life story.

So I'm trying to make my PS better, but in the end, truthfully, I think it will end up being average (ie, i certainly won't get a boost from it). So my question is, after all that - how much is the lack of EC's and an average PS going to hurt me? I DO know that my recommendations will be very strong, I have had a very close relationship to two profs since freshman year.

I have pretty much crossed HYS off my list, (might send app to harvard just on a prayer)

Given my situation, much of a shot at Columbia, NYU, Chicago?

Michigan or Penn?

Finally, still likely to get into G'Town?

hitmon33

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Importance of PS for me?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 12:36:07 PM »
You are probably in even with average softs and PS at NYU, Columbia, Michigan, Penn, and definitely Georgetown.

HYS will likely be a crapshoot, but I'd apply to all three.  It's just $270 or so.  Don't stress over your PS too much.  My advice is be sincere with it.

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 12:39:35 PM »
lawschoolnumbers.com

Check out the graphs; I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

thepickle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 12:49:20 PM »
This place is like drugs...go away from it to work on apps, get into a complete 'doom and gloom' frame of mind; come back here, everything seems like its going to be a-okay! I guess I should just realize now the truth is going to be somewhere in the middle.

I would say the trouble with LSN is that you can't get a read on people's softs, but I guess that just goes to the fact that it is mostly about the numbers. Is it a bad thing to say that I REALLY hope it is all about the numbers? ha