Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How much did you work?  (Read 2632 times)

klrdarling

• View Profile
How much did you work?
« on: November 06, 2008, 09:07:22 AM »
Hello,

I am working full time and have a 16 month old boy.  I am thinking of going to law school.  My question is - how realistic is it that I can continue working while in school?

Thanks much!

casper13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Oh I just love her. dont you
    • View Profile
Re: How much did you work?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 11:58:52 AM »
Hello,

I am working full time and have a 16 month old boy.  I am thinking of going to law school.  My question is - how realistic is it that I can continue working while in school?

Thanks much!

Look into PT programs. But from what I have heard from friends in PT programs they still require a lot of work also, but most of the classes are at night. Least they are out here in So Cal.

klrdarling

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 02:05:49 PM »
I have looked into PT programs - all at night here in the NW, too.

Thanks for replying!

Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 11:49:53 PM »
Who will take care of your toddler? Do you want to have any time to be with your child and watch your child grow? I am a 1L right now. My husband takes care of our children Monday through Thursday, but they are all in school already. I do not have any job. I spend Friday, Saturday and Sunday studying and taking care of my family. I could not possibly also have a job. I spend almost all my time Monday through Thursday studying. I do not think you would be happy going to law school and working and taking care of your child. The first two you can do later. You will not get a second chance to be with your child. I suggest that if your spouse is willing to take over almost all childcare duties, you either work of go to school, but not both. Your child is a blessing to be treasured.

Katfid54

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 09:50:34 AM »
Who will take care of your toddler? Do you want to have any time to be with your child and watch your child grow? I am a 1L right now. My husband takes care of our children Monday through Thursday, but they are all in school already. I do not have any job. I spend Friday, Saturday and Sunday studying and taking care of my family. I could not possibly also have a job. I spend almost all my time Monday through Thursday studying. I do not think you would be happy going to law school and working and taking care of your child. The first two you can do later. You will not get a second chance to be with your child. I suggest that if your spouse is willing to take over almost all childcare duties, you either work of go to school, but not both. Your child is a blessing to be treasured.

Big leap there: assuming she has both a spouse and the fiscal stability needed to stay home with a child.

quepasa

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 11:08:55 AM »
Hello,

Thanks much!

It depends on what kind of reality you want to dive in.
If you don't mind to live with the stranger for the next 18 years, why not?
Do you mean is it doable? You may hire a nanny 24/7 and invest all time and effort in law school and carrer and succed in both, however you would failing in establishing a bonding with your son.
we always have a choice... and sometimes a chance :)

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 12:07:41 PM »
Really people - Women have been working for millenia while raising perfectly healthy, normal children.   There is no requirement for parents to be the sole caregivers for children - I know plenty of well-adjusted children who have been in daycare from 6 weeks on, and plenty of mal-adjusted children whose moms stayed at home.  Stop with the judgmental attitudes.

That said, unless you're going to law school part time, even without family responsibilities, it is considered inadvisable to work during your 1L year.  But some people have do do it, and can handle it. 

I have four kids and plan on continuing to consult sporadically while in law school, depending upon my schedule.

Good luck!
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.

quepasa

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 03:03:53 PM »
Really people - Women have been working for millenia while raising perfectly healthy, normal children.   There is no requirement for parents to be the sole caregivers for children - I know plenty of well-adjusted children who have been in daycare from 6 weeks on, and plenty of mal-adjusted children whose moms stayed at home.  Stop with the judgmental attitudes.

If it is a response regarding my posting, then it flaws by shifting the scope.
I never questioned the ability of working mothers to raise "perfectly healthy, normal" or well-adjusted children. I was talking about bonding. It is a completely different issue. The child can be unhealthey, abnormal and mal-adjusted with whom the parent would have a perfect bonding. You can have a kid who is good in everything except being close to the parents.
There is no judjemental attitude here.
I have three kids and I was a working mom with two of them, and at some point I have been a working mom who was part-time in school. I know from my personal experience, what I am talking about. All kids are great  but when you spend more quality time together, you establish better bonding. IMHO

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 08:35:15 PM »

If it is a response regarding my posting, then it flaws by shifting the scope.
I never questioned the ability of working mothers to raise "perfectly healthy, normal" or well-adjusted children. I was talking about bonding. It is a completely different issue. The child can be unhealthey, abnormal and mal-adjusted with whom the parent would have a perfect bonding. You can have a kid who is good in everything except being close to the parents.
There is no judjemental attitude here.
I have three kids and I was a working mom with two of them, and at some point I have been a working mom who was part-time in school. I know from my personal experience, what I am talking about. All kids are great  but when you spend more quality time together, you establish better bonding. IMHO

You know from YOUR personal experience what works with YOUR kids; other families may have different dynamics, and don't require the amount of time your family did for "quality" bonding.  And that term itself is rather subjective, isn't it?  And you admit yourself that it's "quality" time, not quantity.

Since your evidence appears to be purely anecdotal, it's not particularly useful for the OP. 
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.

archival

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • intj
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 09:16:07 PM »
I'm working part-time in my 3L year at a well-ranked school that doesn't have a part-time program.  I have a four-year-old.  My school also has a lot of evening classes for some reason.  I've really disliked being away from my family at night.  This semester's been distinctly unpleasant for me, but I'm doing it.

I think it's a very personal decision - it'll depend on your spouse/partner and your outside support and your own temperament and to what degree you "get" law school, etc. 

Good luck!

eta:

2d.

But how do you deal with someone who rejects your broad moral principles?
I kill them.