Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Critique My List of Schools (and Predict Outcomes if You're a Betting Wo/Man)  (Read 699 times)

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
3.03/175
Straight from UG
Worked ~25 hrs/week during UG
Strong Upward GPA Trend (3.6-3.7ish last couple semesters)
1 Super Recommendation, 1 "Meh" Recommendation
Decent (not mind-blowing) Softs

Uber-Reaches
Columbia (Fee Waiver)
UVA (Fee Waiver)

Reaches
Vandy (Fee Waiver)
Northwestern (Fee Waiver)
GULC

Targets
WUSTL (Fee Waiver)
Texas
George Washington (EARLY DECISION)
UCLA (Fee Waiver)

Safeties
W&L (Fee Waiver)
IU-Bloomington (Fee Waiver)
UIUC (Fee Waiver)(resident)
Emory

Do I have enough in each category?  Are my categorizations misplaced, given my numbers?  I'm trying to keep my application costs down, so the fee waivers have been a great help, but should I add anything extra?  I'm also wondering about the UCLA.  It's only 12 bucks, but I really have no intention of going there.  I guess I could use it for scholarship leverage somewhere, maybe.

Oh, and feel free to make predictions, too.  Anybody who comes reasonably close wins a prize*.

Thanks in advance.

*no purchase necessary; void where prohibited
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
1. Last time I was in DC, I took a picture of that sign.  I cracked up for a long time.

2. ED for GW?  Any particular reason?
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

DrLazarus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I'd trim targets and safeties to the ones you really want to go to, as I bet you'll get good scholarship leverage out of almost all if not all.  With the 175, I'd toss apps at a few more of the T10 just to play the odds, especially if you don't care what locale you end up at.

Michigan 2010.  Brr.

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
1. Last time I was in DC, I took a picture of that sign.  I cracked up for a long time.

2. ED for GW?  Any particular reason?

1. Ha!  I love it!

2. I'd love to end up in D.C., and while I wouldn't mind working in BigLaw for a couple years to quickly pay down loans, I'd much rather go straight into government or public interest.  GW offers a full-tuition scholarship with an ED acceptance.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
I'd trim targets and safeties to the ones you really want to go to, as I bet you'll get good scholarship leverage out of almost all if not all.  With the 175, I'd toss apps at a few more of the T10 just to play the odds, especially if you don't care what locale you end up at.

Thanks for the advice.  Sorry, I should have mentioned that DC is my locale of choice.  I'd love to work there, and the SO is really into Public Health, so DC's great for that (and GW's Public Health school is supposed to be nice too).  The location certainly isn't controlling, but the need to be near a job source for the SO is.  If she's gonna support my ass for a few years, I need to make sure she can get a job. :)

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
With your follow up post(s) in mind, I'd say to cut WUSTL and IU-Bloomington.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Add Michigan.  Their stats are pretty unremarkable, and the LRAP is great.