Law School Discussion

Can You Do Well on the Exam Despite Not Doing Well in Class?

Can You Do Well on the Exam Despite Not Doing Well in Class?
« on: November 05, 2008, 03:01:18 PM »
I tend to zone out, especially during long policy discussions, but I read all the cases, I outline (or at least plan to outline), and I should start taking practice exams soon.

Matthies

• View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: Can You Do Well on the Exam Despite Not Doing Well in Class?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 03:05:20 PM »
I tend to zone out, especially during long policy discussions, but I read all the cases, I outline (or at least plan to outline), and I should start taking practice exams soon.

I don't pay attention in class at ALL, in all my years of law school I have maybe 5 pages of notes I have ever taken. I read the book, brief the caases, and show up for class just becuase I feel guilty if I don't go, as soon as I am thee I get on the internet and tune out everything. If you can read the book and understand it w/o having the prof explain it to you, you should be fine. I'm number 13 in my class, maybe I could have been higher if I listed to thne prof as I'm sure I have missed questions becuase I did not listen to his/her lectures, but I've done fine even without that.

The Artist

• Admit it... you got Rick Rolled.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 04:01:13 PM »

I don't pay attention in class at ALL, in all my years of law school I have maybe 5 pages of notes I have ever taken. I read the book, brief the caases, and show up for class just becuase I feel guilty if I don't go, as soon as I am thee I get on the internet and tune out everything. If you can read the book and understand it w/o having the prof explain it to you, you should be fine. I'm number 13 in my class, maybe I could have been higher if I listed to thne prof as I'm sure I have missed questions becuase I did not listen to his/her lectures, but I've done fine even without that.

Considering you don't use study aids that's very impressive.

nealric

• a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 04:35:01 PM »
Start outlining today, hit the hornbooks. You should be fine.

I've gotten plenty of A/A- grades in classes where my eyes were glazed over most of the time during class.

Matthies

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 05:06:01 PM »

Considering you don't use study aids that's very impressive.

I think its more that I am just not an auditory learner at all. I lose interest with in five mins of class starting. But, I learn a lot from reading, I tend to “get” more from the reading than many of my classmates, I just seem to get m ore from reading than listening. I don’t use E&E’s but I do use real hornbooks like Proser’s 2000 page hornbook on Torts. I just seem to get more from a big picture overview of the main cases, then any BLL outline. I need the surrounding reasoning to have it make sense for me, the rule alone does nothing. I think its just about how you best understand it, and then following that rather than what you classmates do (like my best friend is a flash card nut, that would not work for me, but it does for him).

Matthies

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 05:06:54 PM »

I've gotten plenty of A/A- grades in classes where my eyes were glazed over most of the time during class.

It helps when you have a b+/A- curve  ;D

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 05:11:58 PM »

It helps when you have a b+/A- curve  ;D

GULC's curve isn't that generous, I don't think.  Our curve certainly isn't.

nealric

• a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 05:17:39 PM »
It's a B/B+ curve 1L and a B+ curve after that.

Matthies

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 09:01:30 AM »
It's a B/B+ curve 1L and a B+ curve after that.

Ours is straight 3.00 mean/median curve for every class

Thistle

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 09:52:10 AM »

i'm exactly the same way, except i rarely read and never brief cases.  i will look at the headnotes and determine the bottom line of the court's decision, and that's about it. 

i usually have a previous student's outline and or book, and may supplement notes along the way, and am sure to highlight when the prof says stuff like "this analysis is important" or "you'll see this again."

i'm 27th in my class but our curve is shittier, a 2.75 across the board.