Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Under Review at Berkeley?  (Read 1816 times)

KAT86

• View Profile
Under Review at Berkeley?
« on: November 05, 2008, 02:31:48 PM »
I just got an email saying that I am under review at Berkeley.. has anyone else received this email? Do you think I will get a decision soon or does this basically just mean that I am complete? ???

Katfid54

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Under Review at Berkeley?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 02:39:06 PM »
I just got an email saying that I am under review at Berkeley.. has anyone else received this email? Do you think I will get a decision soon or does this basically just mean that I am complete? ???

There was an acceptance posted on TLS yesterday.  You can start to get nervous if you want.

hitmon33

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 02:56:20 PM »
Got the same email.  We shall see.

HM1925

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 06:49:00 PM »
I applied October 1st but still haven't gotten an email (but I also took the Oct LSAT)
Did your online status ever change to say application complete?  Mine is still basically blank......  :-\

gtg931r

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 07:15:18 PM »
I got that same email on Oct 27th, so I doubt its necessarily a prelude to an acceptance, but rather its just a "hey, we are starting the initial review of your application." So could be quick, could not be. Just depends I guess.

KAT86

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 08:59:32 PM »
I applied October 1st but still haven't gotten an email (but I also took the Oct LSAT)
Did your online status ever change to say application complete?  Mine is still basically blank......  :-\

Yea online my status says complete

Imperial Russian Stout!

• Sr. Citizen
  • The Evil Stork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 12:27:59 AM »
HM1925,

You might want to check into that.  I applied on Nov. 1st with an October LSAT and I've already gone complete on their status checker.

I did have all my stuff ready to go LSDAS-wise, but Berkeley seems to be one of the most expedient schools to go "complete" out of the 15 I've applied to.  I'd call/e-mail.

SumDood

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 04:12:26 PM »
Just FYI:

Berkeley has a 2 step admission process. The first step is a first read by dean Tom--after you go "complete". He either auto-admits you (big numbers), rejects you, or sends your app to the committee. That email tells you that your app went to the committee. You weren't an auto-reject or auto-admit. Statistically, I believe the ratio of admits the committee can do is about 1:8 (however, it may be worse this year due to a larger number of apps). Those emails also tend to go out en-masse, so it's bad news if you didn't get an acceptance or an "under review" email.

Imperial Russian Stout!

• Sr. Citizen
  • The Evil Stork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 04:43:10 PM »
KAT,

when did you submit your app?

cj890

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 06:13:53 AM »
SumDood, can I ask what your basis is for your assertion below that "under review" means that Dean Tom has passed on making a decision and that the application has gone to the full committee?

Berkeley's website characterizes both review by Dean Tom and review by the full committee as "review"--"administrative review" and "committee review."  http://www.law.berkeley.edu/46.htm.

The same website also states: "When we receive all of the required application materials, an e-mail is sent to you to confirm that your application is under review."  This, at least on its own, does not suggest that "under review" means "committee review" to the exclusion of "administrative review."

Just FYI:

Berkeley has a 2 step admission process. The first step is a first read by dean Tom--after you go "complete". He either auto-admits you (big numbers), rejects you, or sends your app to the committee. That email tells you that your app went to the committee. You weren't an auto-reject or auto-admit. Statistically, I believe the ratio of admits the committee can do is about 1:8 (however, it may be worse this year due to a larger number of apps). Those emails also tend to go out en-masse, so it's bad news if you didn't get an acceptance or an "under review" email.