Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Soft Factors for Law School  (Read 1099 times)

Sofiya

• View Profile
    • Email
Soft Factors for Law School
« on: November 05, 2008, 11:51:54 AM »
Hello Everyone,
If you guys can just read over my short resume, and see if perhaps I should add something to my E/C activities or if my soft factors are good enough.
Sorry for the simple language :

I graduated from high school a year earlier and I am a junior in college right now, majoring in Finance, possibly an English minor. At the age of 14, I started my own business, and was the founder and CEO of my own company that sold customizable souvenirs over the internet and via business meetings with the clients directly which I hosted. An article was written about my business in Young Entrepreneur magazine ( coverstory ) and had an interview in regards to the business with UK BBC

I am taking my LSATs next October, and hope to have a 3.7-3.75 by the time I apply, as well as a good LSAT score.

Furthermore, I have been working in Fidelity Investments Corporate Audit since the Summer, and have had an internship in a general practice law office.

Right now, I am in the process of starting a non-profit organization geared at helping children of incarcerated parents because my parents are currently serving time in jail since I was 15 years old.

Taking into consideration all of the above, what do you think I should add to my resume while I still have the time ?

Many thanks,

Sofiya

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Soft Factors for Law School
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 12:36:02 PM »
Right now, I am in the process of starting a non-profit organization geared at helping children of incarcerated parents because my parents are currently serving time in jail since I was 15 years old.

Focus on making this a success - this is the kind of thing law schools eat up.  Don't do anything else.

Law schools will be surprisingly uninterested in your other experience.

allyp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 01:44:32 PM »
I think the business at an early age would be interesting.  You will want to include this information in detail on your law application resume.  Focus on your parents and your proposed organization in either your personal statement, or a diversity statement.  The key is to differentiate.  You only have so much space, so use it wisely.

Kantian

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 03:26:30 PM »

Focus on making this a success - this is the kind of thing law schools eat up.  Don't do anything else.

Law schools will be surprisingly uninterested in your other experience.

x2. This is your ticket to Yale.

Sofiya

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 03:49:13 PM »
Thank you so much for your input everyone. It's really useful to hear it from others who have went through the same thing as I am planning to do

DWIGHT SCHRUTE

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 06:44:17 PM »
question: what was the company's EBITDA (most recent year)?

Imperial Russian Stout!

• Sr. Citizen
  • The Evil Stork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 12:33:43 AM »
This is sad but true; most softs come a dime a dozen.