Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAT Preparation Courses  (Read 4066 times)

sorrynoidforme

• View Profile
Re: LSAT Preparation Courses
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 05:48:52 PM »
Whatever you do, don't sign up for Powerscore. Their approach is too complex and lacking in so many aspects.

Personally, I'm using some of Kaplan at the moment, and found it to be 10 times more useful than Powerscore.

This doesn't mean choose Kaplan, but sometimes, you get what you pay for and Powerscore might be cheap because they don't offer certain things that other 'more' expensive courses offer.

Bye.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 05:52:19 PM »
In regards to Brody, he is currently a private tutor, and comes with a price tag of $7300.

Wow.

I have not heard very positive things on other Princeton tutors, except the fact that they themselves did well on the LSATs

What am I, chopped liver?  ;)

, which is applauded, but might not help me, and might not be worth the money.

Other tutors won't typically cost that much, and in a market with several, you can always ask to switch.  I'm assuming that's the case with all the companies in NY except Nelson.

a person who believes in his/her abilities and strengths in teaching a classroom should not have any problem with me sitting in on a little portion of the class.

Truth.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 05:56:49 PM »
Whatever you do, don't sign up for Powerscore. Their approach is too complex and lacking in so many aspects.

Care to elaborate?

sorrynoidforme

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2008, 06:24:38 PM »

Care to elaborate?

I don't have time to elaborate at the moment, but I will when time allows.

Sofiya

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 04:52:33 PM »
Again, thanks for all the replies. I am really not considering Kaplan as a choice because I had my own bad experience with the school, and I am not wasting my money on useless classes. In regards to Nelson, I was wondering if anyone knew of any good schools like Nelson, perhaps based on one person, or a private group of tutors. Maybe I should consider a privcate tutor someone knows as being an educated and knowledgeable professional in this field although I prefer the classroom setting more for these purposes. I am also planning on taking the test in Sept. 09 and was looking to maybe even take two separate courses. One in the upcoming Spring, and one in the summer. Perhaps you guys would have suggestions now that you have that last piece of info.

- In regards to Princeton Review, I find that their approach to the courses is too advertised, too commercial with no real knowdledge foundation. Princeton review is everywhere that is why I am a little skeptical of companies like it. I have found that smaller, more private schools are the hidden gem, the ones that have the best professors, not a 20 y.o. kid teaching other 20 y.o kids how to think logically (hope that doesn't offend anyone.

Any suggestions ?

^ wasnt even considering Powerscore, although I do have the books.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2008, 12:30:17 AM »
In regards to Princeton Review, I find that their approach to the courses is too advertised, too commercial with no real knowdledge foundation.

Where did you find support for this?

Princeton review is everywhere that is why I am a little skeptical of companies like it. I have found that smaller, more private schools are the hidden gem, the ones that have the best professors, not a 20 y.o. kid teaching other 20 y.o kids how to think logically (hope that doesn't offend anyone.

You should be skeptical of everyone, and like I've said a bajillion times, it's the instructor, not the brand.  Don't try to generalize big vs. small or corporate vs. private.  That's laziness.  You gotta do your homework on the actual human being who will be showing you how to work the test.

I have a good friend who was an excellent instructor at one of the major prep companies.  When he left them to go independent, he didn't suddenly become a better instructor.  When he later rejoined the company, he didn't suddenly get worse.

Imperial Russian Stout!

• Sr. Citizen
  • The Evil Stork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2008, 12:59:37 AM »
Earlcat speaks with much wisdom and truth.  I took TM, which is basically the king of LSAT prep in my area (I'm in a major market), and the instructor quality varied widely.  Seriously, from excellent to bad.  To be fair to TM, they allow you to transfer courses, so if you have an instructor you don't dig, you can switch to another parallel course.  However, follow Earlcat's advice.  Professors/advisors/and law students alike throw out the TM name in my area as if taking anyone of their courses will undeniably provide you with the holy grail of LSAT wisdom, but I can definitely see some students getting better prep than others within the same company.

tag120

• View Profile
    • Test Anxiety Guru
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2008, 09:25:19 AM »

That doesn't make any sense. How could it be both too complex and lacking? The techniques by the big companies (such as TestMasters and Powerscore) are complex. That's why they take so many hours to teach to students. I think that if you go with the less comprehensive courses, you just aren't going to know enough to get a high score.
Thinking of the Bar Exam
Test Anxiety Guru

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2008, 06:02:46 PM »
I don't think complex and comprehensive are related.  I prefer simplicity while still being comprehensive.  It is possible to over-complicate or over-categorize things.  Einstein once said that things should be made as simple as possible...but no simpler.