Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAT Preparation Courses  (Read 4259 times)

Sofiya

• View Profile
    • Email
LSAT Preparation Courses
« on: November 05, 2008, 11:42:05 AM »
Hello Everyone,

I am actually looking for some advice in regards to the LSAT preparation course available in NYC. I have heard horrible things about the always advertised Kaplan courses, which I took for some High School preparation test. I have spoken to a professional and expert in the area, and she suggested the NYU continuing education LSAT preparation program. If someone can critique/comment/suggest any choices, and why you think they are most suitable.

Many thanks,

Sofiya

sockwok

• newbie on a mission to beat the LSAT!
    • View Profile
Re: LSAT Preparation Courses
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 07:24:49 PM »
I am currently in the Nelson Test Prep course in NYC. I take the weekend classes. We take diagnostics with real previous exams. She gives homework(lots). Course material is all the Official LSAT Test books(10 actual, 10 more & the next 10).

I recommend it.

http://nelsontestprep.com/

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 07:34:31 PM »
I don't know her personally, but I have it on good authority that Carolyn Nelson is top notch.  I also highly recommend Andrew Brody at TPR, but I'm not sure if he's teaching at the moment.

gabriele

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 01:16:34 PM »
Andrew Brody is a god! If he is teaching definitely take his course!!

Sofiya

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 02:05:45 PM »
Thanks everyone. I will definetly take a look at both of the schools you mentioned. In regards to Brody, how many people would you say are in his class ? Also, does anyone know anything about the level in NYU LSAT classes? - Many Thanks.

Sofiya

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 02:32:22 PM »
Btw, I found about Brody, he is currently teaching in Princeton Review but does anyone perhaps have some kind of contact info on him because they won't tell you the instructor's name until the class ? Gabriele & EarlCat, why do you so highly recommend him specifically ? (besides the fact that he got a 180). Who would you say is better, Nelson or Brody?

theknowinsamoan

• View Profile
    • Ace Test Prep
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 06:42:29 PM »
I'm totally biased because I took this class and now I work for this company, that said, take a look at Brent Dunn's on-line DVD course www.acetestprep.com/lsatdvdinfo.php

We've had great success with our DVD students because of our comprehensive approach to teaching logic and analytical skills.  You would receive all of the previously administered LSAT tests. We will support you via e-mail & phone for as long as you are studying for the LSAT.  We've had two 180 students in the past year.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 09:18:35 PM »
Btw, I found about Brody, he is currently teaching in Princeton Review but does anyone perhaps have some kind of contact info on him because they won't tell you the instructor's name until the class ?

That's not cool.  It's possible they don't have anyone assigned for the class yet.  At the worst, you could get private tutoring, or just sign up, and drop after the first day if your instructor sucks (hopefully nobody in NY sucks...in a market that big they ought to have their pick of top instructors).

Gabriele & EarlCat, why do you so highly recommend him specifically ? (besides the fact that he got a 180). Who would you say is better, Nelson or Brody?

I don't know Nelson personally, so I can't say much about her except that people who know more than I ever will about teaching LSAT say she's one of the best in the industry.  I met Brody in a training class a year or so ago, and he really knew his stuff.  He's been doing it for years and worked his way into being one of the big-wigs in the company for content development.  Not many people are going to know the test better than he does.

You're not going to go wrong with either of them I'm sure.

Brent Dunn

• Shoes are jail for feet.
    • View Profile
    • ACE Test Prep
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 11:37:17 AM »
I think that the comment about teacher quality is dead on. Having taught LSAT for over 14 years, I have seen many people who can score well on the LSAT, but don't really convey that knowledge well to other people. When you can find someone who does know their stuff really well, and can explain it well, you have a great find indeed.

One of the most important things that you can do is GO SIT IN on one of the classes being taught. IMHO any company/teacher that is worth their salt will let you see what the class is like before making a decision. That way you can make an informed decision about the class. Think of it as taking a test drive before buying a car.

Favorite graffiti ever--"Eschew Obfuscation"

www.acetestprep.com

Sofiya

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 03:50:18 PM »
Thanks so much for all the feedback everyone. I have actually began studying on my own and got the bibles, the books, the resources, I just feel that I am better learner when its a classroom, and although studying at home is # 1, going to a classroom and having an expert in the actual LSAT test taking technique help me out would without a doubt help me out.

In regards to Brody, he is currently a private tutor, and comes with a price tag of $7300. I have not heard very positive things on other Princeton tutors, except the fact that they themselves did well on the LSATs, which is applauded, but might not help me, and might not be worth the money.

One of the most important things that you can do is GO SIT IN on one of the classes being taught. IMHO any company/teacher that is worth their salt will let you see what the class is like before making a decision. That way you can make an informed decision about the class. Think of it as taking a test drive before buying a car.

^ Thanks for the tip. I will definetly sit in before commiting and I agree, a person who believes in his/her abilities and strengths in teaching a classroom should not have any problem with me sitting in on a little portion of the class.

Thanks again everyone.