Law School Discussion

Is It Just Me or Is Glannon's CivPro WAY too Simplistic?

Is It Just Me or Is Glannon's CivPro WAY too Simplistic?
« on: November 03, 2008, 11:33:34 PM »
Maybe it's my school, or my professor, but Glannon's CivPro seems designed for dullards.  The questions are way too simplistic in comparison to practice exams, and the rules he touches on are way too obvious (if you don't understand Rule 15 and amendments relating back, then that's a major issue).

Just curious . . . why do people say that this is such a great book?  I found a way better hornbook that covers the material.

jacy85

• View Profile
Re: Is It Just Me or Is Glannon's CivPro WAY too Simplistic?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 04:40:54 AM »
I think it's just you.

You're not writing a treatise on an exam; it's not some comprehensive scholarly piece.  It's about addressing the issue as quickly, cleanly and organized as possible.  Sometimes some simplification goes a long way towards writing a good answer.

It's also important to remember that most of the material (including the nuances and complexities) should be coming from your prof/casebook; Glannon is just an aid to help you get back on track if you get lost or confused.  So simple is definitely necessary to achieve that goal.

MahlerGrooves

• See! Leonard Bernstein gave me a shoutout!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 09:16:46 AM »
Maybe it's my school, or my professor, but Glannon's CivPro seems designed for dullards.  The questions are way too simplistic in comparison to practice exams, and the rules he touches on are way too obvious (if you don't understand Rule 15 and amendments relating back, then that's a major issue).

Just curious . . . why do people say that this is such a great book?  I found a way better hornbook that covers the material.

Wally, with CivPro, simple is awesome.

Matthies

• View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 09:36:17 AM »
The E&E one? Then yes, it is, all E&Es are. Seriously to me they are like Cliffs Notes, I have never liked them and found them way to simplistic to be of any help for me. That be said some folks swear by them, its just all about what you need to understand the stuff, E&Es to me are just like the prof explaining in the class holding your hand, I did not need that, I preferred a big picture thing like a hornbook. If it does not work for you, try something else.

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 09:38:37 AM »
Stop trying to make yourself feel smart, Wally.

The point of an E&E is to explain the basics.

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 10:12:26 AM »

We just can't all be as brilliant as you  ::)

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 12:18:11 PM »
Is that really Wally? His writing style has changed.

Did you change it because I called you out too many times for posting on ATL?

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 12:20:02 PM »
Nobody said anything about intelligence.  I'm merely suggesting that our professor tends to design very complicated hypos that Glannon doesn't even try to explain.  I understand that 12(g) and 12(h) restrict the four motions that can be filed in the first response, thank you; I don't need nine questions hitting that topic.

goaliechica

• It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 12:27:22 PM »
Nobody said anything about intelligence.  I'm merely suggesting that our professor tends to design very complicated hypos that Glannon doesn't even try to explain.  I understand that 12(g) and 12(h) restrict the four motions that can be filed in the first response, thank you; I don't need nine questions hitting that topic.

Glannon's not supposed to do the difficult thinking for you. It's mean to make the basics extremely clear before you try to work through complicated hypos yourself.

However, I am also not a supplement person and didn't find it super useful either. But that's not because my prof gave more difficult questions than everyone else's, or because I had so much more of a sophisticated understanding of the interplay between rule 12 and rule 56 than everyone else. It's because that's not the way I learn. Come on, listen to yourself before you post, dude.

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 01:22:07 PM »

I don't really understand why Glannon's book is an issue for you.  If it isn't helpful for you then don't use it.  What does it matter why other people use it or what they get out of it?

And contrary to your assertion that "nobody said anything about intelligence," you did say you believe the supplement is designed for stupid people.  If you "get" it, yay for you, but SO WHAT?

You really are coming off as trying to make yourself sound smart.  It's just kind of funny.  :D