Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: No Job and VERY worried  (Read 2787 times)

RUMike

• Sr. Citizen
  • I switched it up with a self tar.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mike101985
    • View Profile
No Job and VERY worried
« on: November 03, 2008, 10:34:59 PM »
Hey all, I used to post here before 1L, and obviously law school got in the way, but here it goes.

I'm a 2L at a top 30 school in the middle of the class. I had an internship this summer that was pretty prestigious (was one of the few 1Ls and they were mostly also from T1s, it was paid, and I have a lot of experience to talk about on interviews). I graduated with high honors from a top public that is pretty respected in my target market, along with my law school.

I had 18 OCI interviews for early interview, (most were with NJ firms, and I don't think many other students chose them, thus why I think I got the spots) and got a WHOPPING one callback from which I haven't heard (and I have contacted them and no one got back to me).

I had 6 interviews for fall OCI. 3 dings, another one didn't get back to me since september (presumed ding). Two callbacks, one ding. The other should have gotten back to me already, although they also haven't contacted a classmate yet.

Started emailing and faxing on my own. I did get an interview through that, but they told me they only take one intern and I am VERY worried.

I don't know what to do. I'm thinking about starting to apply across the country but have no rational ties anywhere besides NYC/NJ, maybe Philly. I know the economy blows and from what I'm reading here and what I've heard from some classmates it isn't just me, but that doesn't make things better. I never thought it would end up like this. I'm thinking about getting an LLM from a T14 (if possible, and if things don't turn around by then). Any thoughts on that? How about going back to where I worked last summer? I loved it, but it won't pay off my loans full time.

HELP!

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: No Job and VERY worried
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 08:41:14 AM »
Get Guerrilla Tactics for Getting the Legal Job of your Dreams.  Read it ASAP, but skim chapters that sound like they have advice that you can put into play right now re: how to manage your job search.

Don't go get an LLM; you're worried about paying off loans now, adding another year or more of overpriced education isn't going to help.  Even worse, it's not going to help you get a job, unless you want to be a tax attorney.

And finally, network, network, network.  It sounds like you've been relying on OCI to do your job search for you.  That's fine when it works and/or the economy isn't in the crapper.  But the game has changed, and even in great times, very few students get jobs through OCI (talking all law students across the country).  You need to get out and put yourself out there. Go to local bar events, contact alums in the area that work in a practice area you're interest in to set up informational interviews (ask to take them out to lunch, buy them a coffee, meet for a drink after work, etc.).  Meet as many attorneys as possible, follow up on contacts you make, ask their advice and about their careers.  The Guerrilla book gives great networking advice - TAKE IT.

And if you don't believe me, read Matthies' posts; he's gotten some fantastic jobs networking.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 11:40:19 AM »
Get Guerrilla Tactics for Getting the Legal Job of your Dreams.  Read it ASAP, but skim chapters that sound like they have advice that you can put into play right now re: how to manage your job search.

Don't go get an LLM; you're worried about paying off loans now, adding another year or more of overpriced education isn't going to help.  Even worse, it's not going to help you get a job, unless you want to be a tax attorney.

And finally, network, network, network.  It sounds like you've been relying on OCI to do your job search for you.  That's fine when it works and/or the economy isn't in the crapper.  But the game has changed, and even in great times, very few students get jobs through OCI (talking all law students across the country).  You need to get out and put yourself out there. Go to local bar events, contact alums in the area that work in a practice area you're interest in to set up informational interviews (ask to take them out to lunch, buy them a coffee, meet for a drink after work, etc.).  Meet as many attorneys as possible, follow up on contacts you make, ask their advice and about their careers.  The Guerrilla book gives great networking advice - TAKE IT.

And if you don't believe me, read Matthies' posts; he's gotten some fantastic jobs networking.

I don't have anything to add other than listen to Jacy, you need to be proactive with your job searh, not reactive (i.e. just expecting to get a job from a frim coming to your school and interviewing you).
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 11:49:54 AM »
(i.e. just expecting to get a job from a frim coming to your school and interviewing you).

That is how I got one...
VIP.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 11:52:56 AM »
(i.e. just expecting to get a job from a frim coming to your school and interviewing you).

That is how I got one...

That's great if it works, but for the OP it has not.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 06:13:02 PM »
How are there still people not spamming the hell out of every potential firm?

To OP:  Spring fill-in is your best shot at BIGLAW, but this year is going to be awful for fill-ins.  Follow the advice above, you have a long couple of months coming up.