Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do I need more safeties? (And predict my cycle! Yay!)  (Read 1164 times)

jparsenal87

• AOL Instant Messenger - jparsenal87
    • View Profile
Do I need more safeties? (And predict my cycle! Yay!)
« on: November 03, 2008, 07:49:53 PM »
The application process is almost over for me! Hoping to submit my applications sometime before Friday - then it is out of my hands. So I have compiled my list of schools, and now looking over them I am awfully nervous. Do you think I need more safeties? Numbers are 4.03/172, softs are decent, I think strong LORs (you can check LSN in my sig for a brief mention of EC's)...

Went ahead and put what I think are realistic expectations for each school in parentheses - feel free to agree or disagree; and please, if you are bored, I invite you all to predict my cycle!

Harvard (rejection)
Columbia (probably reject, but I can always dream, right?)
NYU (same boat as Columbia)
Chicago (oh, how far away my dream to study law in a big glass cube seems)
Penn (Decent chance)
Michigan (Right now, my number one option of the schools I think I have a decent chance at)
Virginia (Probably in? Hear the campus is beautiful)
Duke (Just discovered my hidden fee waiver! How thoughtful!)
Georgetown (Banking on this acceptance)
Vanderbilt (Hoping I should be in)
George Washington (Hoping for a good bit of money)
University of Maryland (Concerned about a ding for yield protect)

Also, any chance at money from a school like Georgetown?

bloomlaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Welcome to the Monkey House
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Do I need more safeties? (And predict my cycle! Yay!)
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 07:53:24 PM »
The application process is almost over for me! Hoping to submit my applications sometime before Friday - then it is out of my hands. So I have compiled my list of schools, and now looking over them I am awfully nervous. Do you think I need more safeties? Numbers are 4.03/172, softs are decent, I think strong LORs (you can check LSN in my sig for a brief mention of EC's)...

Went ahead and put what I think are realistic expectations for each school in parentheses - feel free to agree or disagree; and please, if you are bored, I invite you all to predict my cycle!

Harvard (rejection)
Columbia (probably reject, but I can always dream, right?)
NYU (same boat as Columbia)
Chicago (oh, how far away my dream to study law in a big glass cube seems)
Penn (Decent chance)
Michigan (Right now, my number one option of the schools I think I have a decent chance at)
Virginia (Probably in? Hear the campus is beautiful)
Duke (Just discovered my hidden fee waiver! How thoughtful!)
Georgetown (Banking on this acceptance)
Vanderbilt (Hoping I should be in)
George Washington (Hoping for a good bit of money)
University of Maryland (Concerned about a ding for yield protect)

Also, any chance at money from a school like Georgetown?

I have a refusal to predict cycles, but I think this looks like a good list. Why Maryland? You probably don't need them.

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 08:18:24 PM »
i would bet you'll get in at least one of CCN. rest of the list looks good...i don't think you need maryland but it's always good to have backups. good luck!

ruski

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 08:23:31 PM »
are you kidding me?  a 172 and 4.0+ won't get you into columbia or nyu?? is that right?

hitmon33

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 08:30:41 PM »
You are being way too hard on yourself.  You're probably in at NYU, Columbia and Chicago.  Harvard is likely too.  Did you post this just for a barrage of compliments or something?

jparsenal87

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 08:53:27 PM »
arg no not at all. I've got some weaknesses in my app (2 W's on my transcript, caught with alcohol freshman year, plus another minor disciplinary thing in the dorms, only 4 classes a few semesters) and no crazy work experience. I seriously wasn't flaming, just my nature to lower expectations. Also, not sure that my PS is great...been working on it, but do you think its a make or breaker for harvard/columbia etc?

tome

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 09:16:00 PM »
arg no not at all. I've got some weaknesses in my app (2 W's on my transcript, caught with alcohol freshman year, plus another minor disciplinary thing in the dorms, only 4 classes a few semesters) and no crazy work experience. I seriously wasn't flaming, just my nature to lower expectations. Also, not sure that my PS is great...been working on it, but do you think its a make or breaker for harvard/columbia etc?

Unless you electronically defecate on your application I would be shocked to see you not crack the T14. I think your safeties seem fine. Your predictions are conservative but seem justified. No Northwestern love though? I'd prefer NU over Chicago, but I live in Chicago, so I probably have different biases than others.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 12:21:00 AM »
YOU'LL GET IN EVERYWHERE YOU APPLY!!!
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

allyp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 01:46:50 PM »
Apply ED to Chicago if you want in.  You'll get in for sure and not have to worry about riding waitlists all year.  Plus Chicago is a great place to live, and affordable.  You are competitive everywhere outside of HYS which is a crapshoot anyway.  H might take you on off a waitlist.

jparsenal87

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 09:45:10 PM »
Thanks for the opinions everyone - very much appreciate it.

I've thought about going ED a few places, but in the end, I decided that since I am going to graduate in December and will have a chance to visit a good number of these schools, that I would be better off just seeing what sticks and then going and checking out the contenders up close.