Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ADDENDUM?  (Read 662 times)

specialksn

• View Profile
    • Email
ADDENDUM?
« on: November 03, 2008, 07:22:36 PM »
Hey,

I am trying to decide if I should write an addendum explaining my low GPA.  The reason it's low is because I played D-1 varsity sports in college, two sports that i had no experience in prior to trying out. I let the sports take over my life until junior year, ended up graduating with honors, but the GPA is still low.  I'm also in grad school now and doing much better...

is the addendum necessary or do you think it will annoy them??

help!

hitmon33

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: ADDENDUM?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 07:26:06 PM »
I'd say yes.

A5678G245

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 09:45:45 PM »
Sports you never played in highschool?

Imperial Russian Stout!

• Sr. Citizen
  • The Evil Stork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 12:01:32 AM »
Seeing as though you graduated with honors, I wouldn't be looking to come off as another person that cries about, for example, a 164 LSAT and 3.5 GPA.  Yes, those aren't the highest numbers possible, yes, some your competition will have higher numbers.  No, they are not numbers you should be crying bloody murder over, feeling sorry for yourself, and coming off as a whiner.

Normally, I advise against most addenda, but being a D-1 athlete really sets you apart from most applicants and if you choose to write one, make sure you don't come off as making excuses.  Saying it consumed your life isn't really a good strategy in my opinion, since who is to blame for that...???  YOU.  And you come off as trying to blame decisions you made off on something else.  That's not what they're looking for.  I realize that's probably not your intent, but you must be very conscious of how what you write will be interpreted. 

Write a short, to the point, addendum emphasizing your extra responsibilities/rigors and giving them these considerations while they evaluate your GPA, if you write one at all.

specialksn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 02:57:51 PM »
hmm...to follow up:

yes, i learned a new sport my freshman year and i allowed it to consume my life.  However, i did learn and grow from my participation and as time went on i learned how to balance everything.

I have low numbers.  I graduated with honors, but all that means is that my last year there i was honors.  My GPA is lower than the median for all schools i am applying to.

Any ideas? I don't like the idea of an addendum but i feel like maybe i should explain?

Thanks for your help! ;D

Imperial Russian Stout!

• Sr. Citizen
  • The Evil Stork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 02:00:22 AM »
If you have a really low GPA, then I'd definitely recommend you write something.