Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The black student experience @ American University & George Washington Universit  (Read 1834 times)

beverly

• View Profile
I am considering applying to these two schools in addition to Howard. I do intend to do well on the LSAT - which 160+ seems to be the standard for these schools. But I wanted to know how diverse the student body is. I currently work very close to American University, and when I drive past the law school I don;t really see any black students. I do see a few sprinkles of black students on the undergrad campus however, I go there for lunch sometimes.  I concerned about feel isolated if it so happens that I would apply there and get accepted, and get the money to go it may make it a harder decision  - of course I do want to go to Howard :) Thanks
Cumulative G.P.A Undergrad: 3.6

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Everything is everything
    • View Profile
I would be happy to see if my friend who's a 3L at AU (black female) will talk to you about her experience there.  PM me your first name and email address, and I'll pass it along to her.
Harvard Law: What, like it's hard?

"That One"

• View Profile
Go to GW over American (solely based on the fact that it is ranked higher).  I would even say go to GW over Howard unless money is an issue.  Employment prospects from Howard seem great if you are at the top of your class, but a lot of people make a mistake in thinking that they will be at the top (contrary to what seems to be popular belief, HU students are VERY bright).  From what I've read top 10% or so from HU gets BIGLAW, while top 1/3 at GW gets BIGLAW.  If BIGLAW is your thing then GW gives you a little cushion, and T-20 status.  Neither school [AU or GW] has a substantial amount of black people (not that many of US in law school period).  You won't feel isolated at either since both have active BLSA chapters, and quite frankly you will be to busy studying to care.   

with your GPA and LSAT why no T-14 aspirations?     

Oh yeah and I got to add MY PRESIDENT IS BLACK y'all....pinch me cause I must be dreamin'

beverly

• View Profile
Hi, Thanks for the info. My undergrad GPA was 3.6, Major: Computer Science, 10 years of work experience in field, last 3 years worked in IT management - No LSAT score yet - so that is the deciding factory. The last time I took a standardized test was high school, and I didnt do so hot, so I have a little anxiety.

"That One"

• View Profile
Hi, Thanks for the info. My undergrad GPA was 3.6, Major: Computer Science, 10 years of work experience in field, last 3 years worked in IT management - No LSAT score yet - so that is the deciding factory. The last time I took a standardized test was high school, and I didnt do so hot, so I have a little anxiety.

Are you interested in IP?  If so then GW should be at the top of your list (after the T14 ofcourse).  GW is known for their IP program.

beverly

• View Profile
Hi - I was not really interested in IP, but I wont rule it out. I was trying to get away from all the science & technology stuff you know :) I can't say no for sure to anythinguntil I actually I get a feel for what its like..