Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Chances of admission  (Read 11852 times)

OldCraig

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Chances of admission
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2008, 06:20:43 PM »
As far as the rudeness commentary, perhaps the name-calling was unnecessary, I'm not sure who started it, but there's alot to lose here, and anyone who's studied civil liberties knows that speech has to be "robust, unihibited, and wide-open" in order for the marketplace of ideas to ever actually achieve any sort of truth.

MahlerGrooves

• Sr. Citizen
  • See! Leonard Bernstein gave me a shoutout!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2008, 07:41:22 PM »
As far as the rudeness commentary, perhaps the name-calling was unnecessary, I'm not sure who started it, but there's alot to lose here, and anyone who's studied civil liberties knows that speech has to be "robust, unihibited, and wide-open" in order for the marketplace of ideas to ever actually achieve any sort of truth.

It just seems that everyone is more on edge than normal... probably because 1) people are stressing about apps and 2) 1L's are starting to realize that exams are a month away (myself included). 

Im not advocating a kumbaya atmosphere or anything, but not getting shot down for EVERY post you make would be nice :) 

Don't forget that applicants are stressed because there will be more competition this year due to people wanting to avoid the garbage economy for 3 years from the comfort of their very own law school seat.

saywhatagain07

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2008, 08:02:05 PM »
Kasm, do you have a science degree?  If so, which one and what would you like to do with it in the area of law?  I've consistently heard that IP is a growing and lucrative field.  I've always enjoyed the sciences myself, so it only makes sense to me to try and incorporate it in some fashion with the practice of law...if law is indeed the path I choose.

MahlerGrooves

• Sr. Citizen
  • See! Leonard Bernstein gave me a shoutout!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2008, 08:08:20 PM »
Kasm, do you have a science degree?  If so, which one and what would you like to do with it in the area of law?  I've consistently heard that IP is a growing and lucrative field.  I've always enjoyed the sciences myself, so it only makes sense to me to try and incorporate it in some fashion with the practice of law...if law is indeed the path I choose.

Hey hey!  Those of us with degrees other than science still can do IP...just not patents  :-\

saywhatagain07

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2008, 08:13:34 PM »
Oh, I did not know this.  I assumed IP and Patents went hand-in-hand. 

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2008, 11:54:42 PM »

Hey hey!  Those of us with degrees other than science still can do IP...just not patents  :-\

I have a non-science degree and do patent lit (or will next year) :) The only restriction is the ability to prosecute patents.  Although, we can still prosecute if someone signs off on it. Everyone tells me I am not missing out on much as prosecuting is boring.

OP, you may want to consider taking some serious prep courses.  I have friends with Cal Tech degrees and advanced degrees from MIT that are struggling to find jobs even at top 20 law schools.  It cannot hurt to have your gpa up.  If you are sold on going in St. Louis, the little bit (1-2K) on a prep class could save you thousands on tuition.

Good luck.

Also, LSD has been a nasty site since they took the feedback thing down a while ago and started letting undergrads post on the graduate student side.   

saywhatagain07

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2008, 12:58:00 AM »
Yeah I had considered taking a prep course for that very reason.  I've noticed that SLU, being a private institution, is pretty big on scholarships if you apply early and have an above-average LSAT.  Perhaps I can raise it 4 or 5 points.

saywhatagain07

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2008, 01:21:31 PM »
I guess while we are on the topic of money, could anyone tell me if they base scholarship awards on income, or soley on minority or LSAT/gpa status?