Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Chances of admission  (Read 11410 times)

saywhatagain07

• View Profile
Chances of admission
« on: November 01, 2008, 02:23:47 PM »
hey everyone,

I'm currently a sophomore biology major at Mizzou and have recently taken an interest in SLU Law.  I was just wondering what you all think my odds of admission are with a 3.46 gpa and a 155 LSAT.

My extracurriculars/volunteer experiences are:
1. Master Treasurer of my Residence Hall
2. Volunteer Crisis Worker for the Mid-Missouri Crisis Line
3. "Homes for the Homeless" mission trip for my local church
4. MU Rifle/Pistol team
5. Some volunteer work at a St. Louis hospital

In addition I am aniticipating a couple of very nice letters of recommendation, so take that into account.

Any and all feedback would be nice!  Thanks!

OldCraig

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Chances of admission
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 05:53:49 PM »
I would say that your odds are poor.

The biggest soft factor you should be concerned about is if you are a member of a suspect class of persons (i.e. - racial minority, female, handicapped, or homosexual)- This gets you the most diversity points -

Also, a 155 LSAT will probably not get you in anywhere you'd want to go.

TheBreadWinner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 06:12:20 PM »
OP, ignore OldCraig.  People like him make this the board of misinformation.

First, do you intend to retake the LSAT?  Is that score your first attempt at the LSAT (i.e. without studying)?  If so, with a raise of 2 or 3 points, you'd seem to have a great shot at SLU. 

Your numbers are solid for SLU's part time program: http://officialguide.lsac.org/SearchResults/SchoolPage_PDFs/ABA_LawSchoolData/ABA6629.pdf 

According to lawschoolnumbers, several people with numbers similar to your's were accepted to SLU last cycle:  http://slu.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants/0708/?sort=lsat&order=desc   Some people received $ with numbers not much better than your's.  Best of luck!
íMe cago en la leche!

saywhatagain07

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 09:01:16 PM »
Being a sophomore, I have plenty of time on my hands to retake the LSAT and possibly raise it a couple points. 

According to their official website, the middle 50% of accepted students had a gpa ranging from 3.24-3.79 and an LSAT from 154-159.  So I ask you, Craig, how are my numbers "poor?"

Thanks for the links, breadwinner, they definately give me something to reference in the future.  According to lawschoolnumbers, it appears that the only people who are rejected are those with a gpa below 3.2 and/or an LSAT below 154

TheBreadWinner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 10:40:40 PM »
No problem.  I know someone who got in to SLU last cycle with your numbers.  Your score is a great start.  If you can get it up to 159-162, you'll probably get some $ from a few schools.  Put together a nice application package, it's worth the time. 

My only word of advice/caution - look at the curve of any school, that offers you a scholarship.  Scholarships are contingent on you maintaining a certain GPA.  If you fall below that line, they usually take the scholarship away. 

Best of luck.
íMe cago en la leche!

saywhatagain07

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 11:24:52 PM »
thanks, I appreciate it

OldCraig

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 02:44:25 AM »
Ok, first of all, I am not spreading misinformation. The OP needs to consider the fact that without a scholarship, attending a T2-T3 is a terrible idea right now unless the OP has $150,000 just laying around.

Second, it's true, soft factors are weighed by their "suspectness", so do some research.

Third, if you're going to be a donkey, pay the Application fee and find out on your own, don't waste your time asking people who've been there. Of course, I've never applied to SLU. Partly b/c WUSL would steal all the jobs, and I'd be stuck  with my thumb in my rear wondering, "wtf didn't I listen to OldCraig on LSD?"

It's your funeral.

DrLazarus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 08:26:01 AM »
While I'm sure WUSTL does steal some jobs from SLU, the St. Louis market is quite the oddity.  A lot of the top firms in St. Louis (if you want employment with the Bryan Caves, Amrstrongs, Huschs, Greensfelders and Thompsons) will recruit decently at SLU.  While anyone outside the top 20 percent or so may have to worry, most of that is a function of the economy and not the presence of WUSTL.  In good times and bad, a great deal (not all) of the STL big players will dig the same amount into WUSTL's class as they will into SLU's.

Now, I understand your reasoning, Craig, but your post is misinformed (although I doubt that's on purpose).  St. Louis is a weird secondary market in its firms' mild distrust of WUSTL kids.  A great deal of them still see WUSTL kids as carpetbaggers who will ultimately/quickly leave for Chicago or other major markets.  A WUSTL kid w/ strong local ties will be fine, but otherwise, they'll be seen as on par with SLU or Missou kids (or have a mild advantage).  This is broad over generalization, but I promise there's wisdom to it.

Moreover, didn't you go to a market originally where there was a T20 that stomped your school's recruitment efforts?  I seem to remember that you were a transfer student, so I'm guessing that you attended a T2 originally...which almost always has some school near its market that trumps it?
Michigan 2010.  Brr.

saywhatagain07

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 11:36:50 AM »
I probably wouldn't go to school at WashU Law if you paid me (ok...maybe if you paid me).  I'm sure its a great school but so far just about every student/alumnus I've encountered from there thinks he's better than everyone else...and quite frankly that makes me lose a deal of respect for the lot.  Though I'm sure there are some good people out there.

I was born and raised in St. Louis, so this is most definately where I would plan to practice law.  I am well aware of the big law firms we have, and I've been to their websites...they seem to have no problem whatsoever in making a big portion of their attorney base SLU Law alumns and University of Missouri-Columbia (where I currently attend) Law alumns.

OldCraig, it might shatter your ego to know that a large midwest-based law firm with offices in STL and KC, Polsinelli Shalton Flanigan Suelthaus PC, hires and staffs several more UMKC Law grads than they do WashU Law grads. http://www.polsinelli.com/

Also what I find interesting is that Polsinelli himself attended UMKC Law.  But thats a Tier 2 School!  Oh my, heaven forbid!

Once, again...I am a sophomore with plenty of time on my hands to raise the LSAT

Lastly, with my biology undergrad I would plan on focusing on Intellectual Property as an attorney.  I understand that there is currently a huge market for IP and I was wondering if this would make me more valuable/attractive to a potential employer?

Thanks for your feedback.  Even you OldCraig.

TheBreadWinner

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2008, 12:26:15 PM »
First, OldCraig, OP asked for our opinion on his chances of admission to SLU, not for your opinion on the pitfalls of a T-2 education.  Learn to read the call of the question you dumb poo.  He didn't ask for your opinion on SLU. 

Second, let's take a look at what your first response, OldCraig. 

I would say that your odds are poor.

The biggest soft factor you should be concerned about is if you are a member of a suspect class of persons (i.e. - racial minority, female, handicapped, or homosexual)- This gets you the most diversity points -

Also, a 155 LSAT will probably not get you in anywhere you'd want to go.

You are very misinformed.  A 155 LSAT and 3.45-3.5 GPA will certainly make the OP a very competitive candidate for admission. Saywhatagain07, take note of douchebags like OldCraig - law schools are awash with them.  Learn to deconstruct their illogical arguments, and have fun with them. 
íMe cago en la leche!