Law School Discussion

Just Looked at a Practice Exam. Oh, (%^$. I'm Freaking Out.

Just Looked at a Practice Exam. Oh, (%^$. I'm Freaking Out.
« on: November 01, 2008, 11:36:35 AM »
This is tough stuff.  I don't think I picked up on any of the issues, or all of them.  Or maybe I missed the point entirely.  And I have to write a policy question on Twombly?!  I barely understand the difference between factual allegations and the Conley standard and all that jazz.

Oh, man, oh man, ohman.

Re: Just Looked at a Practice Exam. Oh, (%^$. I'm Freaking Out.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 11:42:35 AM »
I kind of felt that way when I looked at a torts question from my professor.  But, look at this way:  you haven't actually "studied" the material yet.  Everything you know is based on an initial look which, at best, is pretty cursory.  Once you begin to study, you'll know the material like the back of your hand (which will make spotting issues all the more easier).  The harder it is, the better for you, I'd believe.  An easier test would make it really hard to stand out amongst your peers, with a hard test, you need to learn the ways of taking the test, and hopefully the difficulty knocks out most of the competition.  All of this is based on many assumptions about your own ability.

Point is:  don't worry just yet because you didn't notice the issues (even though I am also).  I'm looking to get a good handle on the material and be able to notice issues with a much more sophisticated understanding.

I'm studying Civ. Pro. right now also.  Fun stuff.

jacy85

• View Profile
Re: Just Looked at a Practice Exam. Oh, (%^$. I'm Freaking Out.
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 02:40:47 PM »
Don't panic too much.  You'll soon see that there's only so many ways to present a battery, a breach of contract, etc.

As Changed Name said, you haven't really started studying yet.  Once you get into it, start to learn the material for each class, and do more practice exams, two things will happen:  you'll know what your arsenal is, and you'll start seeing repetition in fact patters. Both will make it easier to spot issues.

Another thing that I always found helpful:  if you have open book exams, make checklists for each class.  It should be no longer than one page, and really be a bit picture view of the issues so you can run down it and check things off as you spot the issues.

I found this *especially* helpful in civ pro, but did it for all my classes.