Law School Discussion

Why is Law School so Cliqueish?

Why is Law School so Cliqueish?
« on: November 01, 2008, 08:32:47 AM »
You would think that grown adults would find numerous social groups to hang out with, and utilize them to maximum utility, but that's not the case at all.  People seem content to hang out with a few others to the exclusion of everyone else.

Re: Why is Law School so Cliqueish?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 09:09:41 AM »
I think it's just human tendency to fall into a group, get comfortable and never really leave the comfort zone.  When you first come to school, it's new, it's different, and quite possibly, these characteristics make it terrifying.  You sort of try to "cling" to the familiar (whether it be with people you knew from middle school or people who went to the same undergrad as you).

For the most part, people are friendly, but once they make their friends and their "groups," it's really hard to infiltrate the crowd.  You know the saying, "You can't choose your family, but you can choose your friends"?  Well, I agree in part and disagree in part.  With regards to friendship, sure you get to "choose" your friends, but I usually find that friendship is more a product of convenience.  Once you have a friend circle, you're not really trying to break from that.

For what it's worth, I'm one of the few who isn't party of any "group."  (I haven't even been asked to be a part of a study group!  Not that I want to, but it'd be nice to be asked  :)

I talk to anyone.

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 10:10:31 AM »
Agreed with Changed Name - it's not law school, it's just life, unfortunately!

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 11:36:36 AM »
It's just more obvious in law school because you see the same few hundred people every day and are forced to notice it.

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 11:56:53 AM »
It's just more obvious in law school because you see the same few hundred people every day and are forced to notice it.

Like going to high school all over again is how it is often described. 

dischord

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 12:44:17 PM »
You would think that grown adults would find numerous social groups to hang out with, and utilize them to maximum utility, but that's not the case at all.  People seem content to hang out with a few others to the exclusion of everyone else.

Maybe people don't do this because it's completely pathological to structure one's social life on such a cynical view of relationships.  Most people aren't looking to "maximize utility" when making friends; they're looking for emotional connection/support.  You really can only build meaningful relationships with a small group of people, IMO.

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 12:46:40 PM »
I've noticed that the cliques have dissolved a bit as law school has progressed.  After going through exams, OCI, more exams, various other experiences such as clinic and/or journal, I've developed friendships with a number of different people.  Sharing similar stressful experiences with the people around me has nurtured a number of friendships.  It's kind of like winding up on a strange desert island after being involved in a plane crash with a bunch of strangers. Except with less polar bears, shadow monsters, time travel, and Benjamin.  And everyone isn't nearly as good-looking.

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 01:29:10 PM »
I don't really know anyone I go to school with, and I like it that way. That way they won't talk to you when you show up to class/exams early, and they for sure won't impose upon you or ask you any favors. Thank God for that.  ;D

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 02:36:41 PM »

Maybe people don't do this because it's completely pathological to structure one's social life on such a cynical view of relationships.  Most people aren't looking to "maximize utility" when making friends; they're looking for emotional connection/support.  You really can only build meaningful relationships with a small group of people, IMO.

Well, excuse me for being a rational agent.   :P

dischord

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 03:29:58 PM »
Ha, don't even kid yourself.