Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Stanford personal statement - 2 pages?  (Read 6559 times)

redstone

• View Profile
Stanford personal statement - 2 pages?
« on: October 31, 2008, 11:15:39 PM »
Stanford says my personal statement should be "about two pages."  Do they mean single space?  Two pages double spaced is like 500 words, which is damn short.  Any insight?

Gone

• Sr. Citizen
  • Goodbye All!
    • View Profile
Re: Stanford personal statement - 2 pages?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 02:12:48 AM »
It's not single space. If they don't say anything, you can probably get away with 1.5. But Harvard's is two pages double-spaced. I would bet most applicants just send the same statement to both.
Best of luck to everyone!

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 09:41:26 AM »
What kinda font are you using that 2 double spaced pages is 500 words? 12 pt, TNR is like 750-800 words.

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 09:44:57 AM »
I took my 3.75 page long one, removed two paragraphs on which I then based my diversity statement, changed the font to 11 pt, and it was 2.25 pages, double spaced.  Definitely more than 500 words.
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 10:10:49 AM »
My P.S, which admittedly, took some wrangling to get into two pages, was 988 words.

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 10:23:54 AM »
My P.S, which admittedly, took some wrangling to get into two pages, was 988 words.

My long one was 1500, my short one, just over 1000.  I didn't even bother trying to cut it any more.  :-\
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.

Cool Beans

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 06:43:12 PM »
What kinda font are you using that 2 double spaced pages is 500 words? 12 pt, TNR is like 750-800 words.

*yawn*  You are filling up my internet and wasting our nation's valuable resources by posting about fonts and sizes.  Heartbreaker, you are the reason why this country is in the midst of a severe energy crisis. 

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 08:41:39 AM »

*yawn*  You are filling up my internet and wasting our nation's valuable resources by posting about fonts and sizes.  Heartbreaker, you are the reason why this country is in the midst of a severe energy crisis. 

You used 1.5 times as many words to complain about her post.  Who's the wastrel?  ::)

space for rent.

Cool Beans

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 12:12:48 PM »

You used 1.5 times as many words to complain about her post.  Who's the wastrel?  ::)

My response was only necessary due to her self-absorbed wasting of our valuable resources.  I am providing a service.  Your post, as well, serves very little purpose to the greater good.  So you and heartbreaker, when this is the United States of Saudi Arabia, you'll wish you weren't so ignorant of the way the world works.

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2008, 01:02:02 PM »

My response was only necessary due to her self-absorbed wasting of our valuable resources.  I am providing a service.  Your post, as well, serves very little purpose to the greater good.  So you and heartbreaker, when this is the United States of Saudi Arabia, you'll wish you weren't so ignorant of the way the world works.

bwa ha ha... now whose alt are you?  No real person could be so ridiculous.  ::)

space for rent.