Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Just started studying for June- Question about Powerscore?  (Read 827 times)

columbiany07

• View Profile
Just started studying for June- Question about Powerscore?
« on: October 31, 2008, 12:09:29 PM »
Hey everyone first time poster. I recently bought the powerscore LG and LR books and have found some of their methods helpful. My question is that being that time is of the essence how many of these techniques can one employ, especially when trying to break down formal logic questions. Maybe my speed is not yet up to par but diagramming all the concepts(contrapositives etc.) in one question alone will eventually locate the answer but eat up your time. Also in the LG book they advise using hypotheticals to narrow answers does one honestly have time to make up hypotheticals during the time constraints of this exam. I would like to know everyones opinion regarding powerscore and if they did use it what techniques they found practical and which ones they ignored. Thanks in advance. 

bgd736k2

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Just started studying for June- Question about Powerscore?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 01:40:54 PM »
From what i have read in recent months, powerscores techniques are employable however sometimes it comes at a cost. For example, the amount of diagramming which powerscore does to solve a problem may not enable you to finish the games section because of the time constraints. Another Good publication for the LSAT games section is Getprepped's Ace the LSAT logic Games. By using both it gives you more latitude and flexibility. Moreover, you dont have to question the methods utilized in either of these book because as it stands they are the best books in the market-as it stands- for logic games.
Logical reasoning, is a section where you have to understand arguments. Many people have said that formal logic can assist you in the logical reasoning portion as much as the logical games. I beg to differ.
firstly, formal logic is presented in a manner which is dissimilar to LSAT Arguments. Sure when you break the Argument down to its most fundamental/rudimentary state it can be translated as formal logic. However books on informal logic are better for preparing for the lsat because, much like the lsat, it has arguments and passages similar to that of the LSAT. Furthermore, all of the testprep companies and testprep booklets always give you an introduction to logic. So buy an informal logic book. it can seriously help.

The best-informal logic- book in the market right know is called:

Informal Logic: A handbook for Critical Argumentation by Douglas walton.

GOOD luck with your studying and dont be discouraged

tony_rocky_horror

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 04:19:39 PM »
Can anyone else recomend the Walton book besides the Shill?

eudaemonist

• Its totally inappropriate, lewd, lascivious..
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 04:15:14 AM »
Logical reasoning, is a section where you have to understand arguments. Many people have said that formal logic can assist you in the logical reasoning portion as much as the logical games. I beg to differ.
firstly, formal logic is presented in a manner which is dissimilar to LSAT Arguments. Sure when you break the Argument down to its most fundamental/rudimentary state it can be translated as formal logic. However books on informal logic are better for preparing for the lsat because, much like the lsat, it has arguments and passages similar to that of the LSAT. Furthermore, all of the testprep companies and testprep booklets always give you an introduction to logic. So buy an informal logic book. it can seriously help.

The best-informal logic- book in the market right know is called:

Informal Logic: A handbook for Critical Argumentation by Douglas walton.

With powerscore there are clearly used techniques which are specific to each question type, you will only use formal logic diagramming on conditionals, parallels and, obviously, the odd formal logic question that is in the LSAT.

There are questions in the LR section that are pure formal logic and easily diagrammed. But there are many other question types, powerscore covers other techniques to attack these problems.

The PS LR techniques are involved and require a lot of time and practice, but they are flawless in the end. The record speaks for itself, hes an LSAT master.

A book on "informal logic" may help, but will be a waste of time, the PS author is well read on philosophy and logic and picks out the best bits and tailors it to the lsat.

Cut to the chase, reading philosophy may help but its not going to help as much as an LSAT expert focused program.

This Walton fellow seems somewhat credible, I'm sure he writes a half decent book here and there  ;D

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 12:51:26 AM »
My question is that being that time is of the essence how many of these techniques can one employ, especially when trying to break down formal logic questions. Maybe my speed is not yet up to par but diagramming all the concepts(contrapositives etc.) in one question alone will eventually locate the answer but eat up your time.

I didn't use powerscore, but I felt like chiming in anyway.  At this point, don't even worry (much) about the time until, say, February.  Then you can fine-tune your pacing.  In the mean time, learn the techniques, question types, and flaw patterns like the back of your hand.  Master diagramming, and just practice practice practice OFF THE CLOCK going for 100% accuracy.  What's going to happen between now and next spring is the speed will come naturally.  You won't have to formally diagram very much at all because you know it so well that you can do it intuitively in your head.