Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need some advice  (Read 4817 times)

wally2002

• View Profile
    • Email
Need some advice
« on: October 30, 2008, 04:33:43 PM »
Hello,

Heres the deal, I took the LSAT twice now, in June and October.  I got a 148 in June and a 150 in October.  Now here i am.  I am quite discouraged and frustrated. but I dont want to give up.  That is unlike me.  I was averaging mid-150's leading up to the october test and i failed despite "improving" my score from June.

The question I have is...should I retake it...again? Will this look really bad to schools?  Or will it look as if I am persistent?  I really want to get in a aba approved school. But now I dont know if I can.  Someone please help me out.

respect
wally

!закон и право!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Need some advice
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 05:00:35 PM »
You have one more chance to take the test (at least within the two year span from your first score).

I would recommend retaking if you think you can improve. Most schools now consider only your highest score for admission purposes.

I would however recommend taking a least a few months off to prep for your last retake, which means applying for next year's admission cycle (retake next October or June).

wally2002

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 07:54:38 AM »
You have one more chance to take the test (at least within the two year span from your first score).

I would recommend retaking if you think you can improve. Most schools now consider only your highest score for admission purposes.

I would however recommend taking a least a few months off to prep for your last retake, which means applying for next year's admission cycle (retake next October or June).

Wow. Wait that long.  But I am "fresh" right now arent I?  Shouldnt i just study a lot this month and do it in December- given that I have just done a lot of lsat work lately?

!закон и право!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 01:21:42 PM »

Wow. Wait that long.  But I am "fresh" right now arent I?  Shouldnt i just study a lot this month and do it in December- given that I have just done a lot of lsat work lately?

With all due respect, the studying you did invest in your first attempt clearly wasn't enough. You might want to restructure your study plan and go into the test fully confident that you can obtain a score that more closely reflects your potential.

It's up to you though. If you're happy with a score in the low to mid 150s go for it - infact, it would make sense to go into the test in Dec if it would only be your second attempt. But I think since you have only once attempt left it makes sense to give it enough time to saturate your mind with the LSAT and perform your very best when you do decide to take it again.

In any case, best of luck.

ManhattanLSAT

• http://LSATblog.blogspot.com
    • View Profile
    • Free LSAT tips and tricks
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 01:02:21 PM »
give yourself more time to study and take it in February. You're better off waiting a year to apply and getting a higher score than taking it again and getting a similarly low score.

zippyandzap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Clint Dempsey FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 08:54:34 AM »
The practice tests... were they the old ones from the 10 Actual LSAT series?  If so the RC on the real test is harder and the AR is easier... and the curve is tighter (at least at the top... I don't know how much it trickles down).

AlisaGreenstein

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 11:49:18 AM »
Although it is discouraging, I would recommend retaking the exam.  Law schools really like to see a higher score.  You can take it a maximum of three times within two years from your first exam.  You might also want to consider taking a commercial review course or hiring a tutor who can help you get a higher score.  If you can, I would also order copies of the exams that you took and concentrate on seeing what you got wrong on those exams and working on improving those areas - that might be a good place to start.  Best of luck!

Alisa Greenstein | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant | www.VeritasPrep.com/law

TTom

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 09:32:25 PM »
Hello,

Heres the deal, I took the LSAT twice now, in June and October.  I got a 148 in June and a 150 in October.  Now here i am.  I am quite discouraged and frustrated. but I dont want to give up.  That is unlike me.  I was averaging mid-150's leading up to the october test and i failed despite "improving" my score from June.

The question I have is...should I retake it...again? Will this look really bad to schools?  Or will it look as if I am persistent?  I really want to get in a aba approved school. But now I dont know if I can.  Someone please help me out.

respect
wally

A 150 will get you in at quite a few low ranked schools. IMO, however, they are not worth going to. Most people who go to TTT and TTTT schools have a very difficult time finding work. Added to that is the fact that the legal market is doing very poorly right now. Even students from T schools are having a hard time finding paying work.

Not everyone has what it takes. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. It is one of the few barriers to entry that the profession has.

If you can do well enough on the LSAT to get into a TT I would encourage it. But if all you can muster is a TTT or TTTT, please think carefully before doing it. (You won't.)

Ninja1Hater

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 08:35:28 AM »
If you can do well enough on the LSAT to get into a TT I would encourage it. But if all you can muster is a TTT or TTTT, please think carefully before doing it. (You won't.)

BULLCRAP.  Any graduate from any school can get a job in law.  This LSAT is complete crap, and not every school relies on it so heavily.

I work at a law firm that hires interns out of Harvard and Yale and guess what?  All of them have sucked.  They all came to us with a sense of entitlement and they all cheated their way through their internships (by claiming graded credit when they didn't fulfill their obligations to the law firm).  I've witnessed a couple of them (from Yale) flunk the Massachusetts bar.

So scoring high on an LSAT and getting into a top tiered school doesn't mean the student's not an a-hole.  It just means the student's an a-hole with a sense of entitlement.

TTom, I highly encourage you to GO FOR IT.  Study up and take the test a third time in two years.  You seem like a thoughtful person who's discouraged, and don't let the negative blowhards on this site discourage you by saying you're not cut out for it.

If you want it badly enough, then you're cut out for it.  GO FOR IT.  All you really need to practice law is admission to a state bar.  Period.  Build your contacts now, do great in whatever school you attend (on whatever tier you can get into) and GO FOR IT.

I wish you all the best.  And to the blowhards who are negative, I wish all the worst.

TTom

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 09:03:57 AM »

BULLCRAP.  Any graduate from any school can get a job in law.  This LSAT is complete crap, and not every school relies on it so heavily.

I work at a law firm that hires interns out of Harvard and Yale and guess what?  All of them have sucked.  They all came to us with a sense of entitlement and they all cheated their way through their internships (by claiming graded credit when they didn't fulfill their obligations to the law firm).  I've witnessed a couple of them (from Yale) flunk the Massachusetts bar.

So scoring high on an LSAT and getting into a top tiered school doesn't mean the student's not an a-hole.  It just means the student's an a-hole with a sense of entitlement.

TTom, I highly encourage you to GO FOR IT.  Study up and take the test a third time in two years.  You seem like a thoughtful person who's discouraged, and don't let the negative blowhards on this site discourage you by saying you're not cut out for it.

If you want it badly enough, then you're cut out for it.  GO FOR IT.  All you really need to practice law is admission to a state bar.  Period.  Build your contacts now, do great in whatever school you attend (on whatever tier you can get into) and GO FOR IT.

I wish you all the best.  And to the blowhards who are negative, I wish all the worst.

This is awful advice. And completely off point. Do you really believe that if you score high on the LSAT that you're an a-hole with a sense of entitlement? I didn't realize that correlation existed. Further, what would that have to do with getting a job?

People can bury there heads in the sand all they want. Not everyone should go to law school. Just like not everyone should go to med school or any other professional school. The market is oversaturated. The economy stinks. Going to a ttt or tttt school is a mistake.