Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: T14 v. T20 w/ Scholarship  (Read 4334 times)

bloomlaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Welcome to the Monkey House
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: T14 v. T20 w/ Scholarship
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 08:18:05 PM »
at the very least, apply RD to a bunch of schools. You have a good shot at HYS, and will probably get into every other t14 school, many with a decent amount of money. then you can pick without having to apply in a binding decision. 

full tuition at HYS/half tuition at CCNMVPB is probably a better bet than full scholarship at GW especially with the economy the way it is. just my two cents.

I respectfully disagree. In this economy, it is probably a better idea to graduate with 0 debt. I don't see how owing $100,000+ with better job opportunities could be better than 0 debt with much less, but still, for the most part, decent job opportunities. In three years, if we have a world where GW grads aren't getting jobs, then we are also probably in a world where some people from the other schools aren't getting jobs, and the OP could easily be in that group. Also, the OP doesn't know if they will like biglaw, or the law in general.

But, I agree with the main point of the responses, you should definitely not apply ED to GW. Leave your options open.

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 08:31:43 PM »
at the very least, apply RD to a bunch of schools. You have a good shot at HYS, and will probably get into every other t14 school, many with a decent amount of money. then you can pick without having to apply in a binding decision. 

full tuition at HYS/half tuition at CCNMVPB is probably a better bet than full scholarship at GW especially with the economy the way it is. just my two cents.

I respectfully disagree. In this economy, it is probably a better idea to graduate with 0 debt. I don't see how owing $100,000+ with better job opportunities could be better than 0 debt with much less, but still, for the most part, decent job opportunities. In three years, if we have a world where GW grads aren't getting jobs, then we are also probably in a world where some people from the other schools aren't getting jobs, and the OP could easily be in that group. Also, the OP doesn't know if they will like biglaw, or the law in general.

But, I agree with the main point of the responses, you should definitely not apply ED to GW. Leave your options open.

i see your point with regard to some schools. however, i think the best way to view the problem is at the bottom of the class, not the top. i agree that top 15-25% at GW are likely to have similar opportunities to top 25% at anywhere in the t14. the difference is the bottom of schools in the top 10 or so and schools ranked 14-20. i can only speak for chicago, but literally everyone i know in the 2L class has a job through OCI even in this iffy economy, and i would imagine this is also true for HYS, columbia, nyu, probably MVPB. that's not something you're likely to get at GW for the bottom 25-50% of the class, though i'm sure those people can get jobs with slightly more hustling.

i always recommend people consider options at the bottom half of the class, not the top, because we all assume we'll be in the top of the class; if you are at the top of the class, awesome, you have plenty of options. i know when i came to chicago as a 1L i was convinced i would continue my record of awesome scholastic achievement ;D. didn't happen; though i don't suck, i am nowhere near top 15%. sooooo, on the whole, i would be more comfortable taking $100,000 in debt for HYSCCN than full ride at GW.

completely different answer if OP wants public interest...GW, Vandy, UCLA etc. should be prestigious enough to help you get good jobs without the debt.

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 10:25:47 PM »
You know, 1L finals are really stressful, at any law school.  But at top law schools, you know that the odds are extremely strong in your favor that, no matter how you do on any given exam, you can find a job.  I know people who have had sub 3.0 GPAs who will have or have had jobs they were very happy with.

I can't imagine how much mores stressful 1L would be at a school where that wasn't true.  And you really don't have to go very far down the rankings to find schools like that.

GWU is an awesome school, and the top of the class will have fantastic options.  And I'm sure you're very smart.  But so are many of your classmates.  Particularly in this economy, I would not advise anyone to throw away his or her safety net, which is what you would be doing.
Michigan Law Class of 2010

bloomlaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Welcome to the Monkey House
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 10:47:42 PM »
You know, 1L finals are really stressful, at any law school.  But at top law schools, you know that the odds are extremely strong in your favor that, no matter how you do on any given exam, you can find a job.  I know people who have had sub 3.0 GPAs who will have or have had jobs they were very happy with.

I can't imagine how much mores stressful 1L would be at a school where that wasn't true.  And you really don't have to go very far down the rankings to find schools like that.

GWU is an awesome school, and the top of the class will have fantastic options.  And I'm sure you're very smart.  But so are many of your classmates.  Particularly in this economy, I would not advise anyone to throw away his or her safety net, which is what you would be doing.

In the same breath, isn't it alot more stressful when you have $150,000 in debt to worry about when you are looking for a job? I would take no debt, with very limited but still OK options, (GW) over the likelihood that I will hate my biglaw life, or the possibility that after taking out that much money, I may not want to go into big law or law at all.

I just think that the argument of "T14 opens more doors, when compared to T25 with $$$" is very misleading. In the idea of getting biglaw gigs, it does, but outside of that, the $150,000 in debt without a doubt limits your options in life WAY more than a degree from GW limits your options in law.

Of course, paying sticker, the T14 blows away GW.

Jets

• Sr. Citizen
  • At least the Pats missed the playoffs...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 10:51:34 PM »
I went to GW for 1L year. There were a lot of bright people in my class because of tons of these scholarships going around. I'm obviously generalizing, but a lot of people with the full rides did not do very well. I, along with countless friends, received no financial aid and ended up being very successful there. So to the extent (if any) you believe your numbers equate to class standing, be advised that this is not the case.

Additionally, there's one quick point I'd like to dispel regarding the supposed "safety net" you get at a top school. I'm at one now, and although that's certainly the perception everyone had coming in, I've heard (anecdotally) that a lot of people still do not have jobs. Some of the jobless folks are not even at the bottom of the class. Granted, the economy is really sucky right now, but it's worth noting that there's more to getting a job than school pedigree. So while going to a better school is a "safer" option to the extent that it positions you better for gainful employment, it's not going to be the guarantee everyone you talk to (including your law school's administration) will make it out to be.

Still, I'd go to a higher ranked school...I've seen way too many of my GW friends struggle this year, and a lot of them are actually top students. They'll land on their feet, I'm sure, but they do (generally speaking) really have to work a lot harder to get the opportunities that are readily accessible at elite schools.

violaboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2008, 11:14:02 PM »
There are many more opportunities for better jobs at T14.  That's how I'm playing it at least.

Gone

• Sr. Citizen
  • Goodbye All!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2008, 11:24:02 PM »
Agree with everyone above - you have a great shot at money in T14 and if you send out a lot of apps, youll probably end up with a full ride somewhere even without ED. No reason not to consider all your options.

And don't stress too much about the disciplinary issues. Things like that that happen freshman year are things that law schools see all the time. It didn't happen multiple times so it doesn't show that you're an alcoholic and it hasn't happened recently, so you're probably over that immaturity. Write an addendum and don't worry about it too much. I am curious though....how did you get caught in the shower? Making too much noise?
Best of luck to everyone!

thepickle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2008, 11:31:25 PM »
er, it was in a suite, with like 3 showers for 7 people...supposedly someone called down to the front desk, they sent an RA up....he wasn't very friendly at all...I was stuck between feeling very awkward and kinda like a badass ha

Gone

• Sr. Citizen
  • Goodbye All!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2008, 11:36:20 PM »
er, it was in a suite, with like 3 showers for 7 people...supposedly someone called down to the front desk, they sent an RA up....he wasn't very friendly at all...I was stuck between feeling very awkward and kinda like a badass ha

So one of your suitemates called an RA? That may be the lamest thing I ever heard
Best of luck to everyone!

thepickle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2008, 11:43:36 PM »
Worst part about it is that 6 of us were, and continue to be, very close friends....no mystery who called...bah...so I will be blaming gaston from floor 3, suite A, for any and all rejections which might come my way this cycle...