Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why do we get a big admissions boost?  (Read 12631 times)

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Why do we get a big admissions boost?
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2009, 12:30:34 AM »
This is a true story.

The following scene took place on a flight between Johannesburg and London:

A White woman, about 50 years old, was seated next to a Black man.  Disturbed by this horror, she called the flight attendant.

"Madam, what is the matter?" the Hostess asked. "You obviously do not see it, then." she retorted. "You placed me next to a Black man. I do not agree to sit next to someone from such a repugnant group. Give me an alternative seat."
"Be calm please, the Hostess replied. "Almost all of the seats on this flight are taken. I will go to see if another seat is available."

The Hostess went away and then came back a few minutes later. "Madam, just as I thought, there are no other available seats in the Economy Class. I spoke to the Captain and he informed me that there are no seats in the Business Class, either. But, we do still have one First Class seat left."

Before the woman could say anything, the Hostess continued: "It is not usual for our company to upgrade someone from Economy Class to First class; however, given the circumstances, the Captain feels that it would be scandalous to make someone sit next to someone so disgusting."

She turned to the Black guy, and said, "Therefore, sir, if you would like to, please collect your hand luggage, a seat awaits you in First Class."

At that moment the other passengers, who were shocked by what they had just witnessed, stood up and applauded.  ;) ;D

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

prelaw12

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2011, 11:29:08 PM »
If that's the case then all first or second generation college students should get a boost in admissions. Or those who were poor and whose parents and grandparents never had money to get a good education. Its a load of crap. Admissions should be based on individual achievements for everyone. Work hard and study for good grades and lsat score and it will pay off. I am the very first person in my family to ever get a bachelors and i did it fine. Just work hard at it, black or white. Aa is a big joke that colleges use to avoid discrimination lawsuits due to black under representation in the school. So instead of just proving that not many blacks have the numbers to get in, they just accept them with lower numbers. I would be pissed if i was accepted just because i was a urm or because i grew up poor in an uneducated family.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2011, 03:56:41 PM »
I don't get this.  I saw a Black guy treat an Asian person like crap once, my significant other at the time actually. Just as relevant as the top story-  Meaning, of course, not relevant.

There are good arguments for the admissions boosting policies.  Most are stat and socioeconomic- use those.  Some racist old lady on a plane? What's your point?
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

justanothersucker

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2011, 12:39:32 PM »
The answer is simple, the legal community as a whole believes that if they didn't do so there wouldn't be any black lawyers anymore.

That pretty much somes it up.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2011, 11:30:41 PM »
What I didn't get was the relevance of the story.  The reasons for affirmative action are equity based. Those I get.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

justanothersucker

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2011, 08:14:00 PM »
The poster is an example of why AP has to be done........nuff said.

What I didn't get was the relevance of the story.  The reasons for affirmative action are equity based. Those I get.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2011, 03:49:09 PM »
Nuff said?  Its just a mean old lady. Not, say, the right of a Black lady to sit where she wants on a bus.  Just some mean fool.  If you think that is an example of anything, you need to get out more.   

justanothersucker

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2011, 07:33:09 PM »
Right............story not on point........thus reason sayer of it is "reason AA is requied".................. you are going to love those 1L finals kid.

Nuff said?  Its just a mean old lady. Not, say, the right of a Black lady to sit where she wants on a bus.  Just some mean fool.  If you think that is an example of anything, you need to get out more.