Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why do we get a big admissions boost?  (Read 12515 times)

secondsblue

• View Profile
Why do we get a big admissions boost?
« on: October 30, 2008, 02:21:36 PM »
I am having trouble understanding why, exactly, blacks get a boost in admissions. Is it simply because, for some reason, we generally score lower on the LSAT? Anyone have links to any good articles expanding upon the whys?

trudawg

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Why do we get a big admissions boost?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 12:43:18 PM »
I would like to know this as well. I understand the URM aspect but what are specifics?

mathlete

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 12:34:48 PM »
Some white people feel guilty for some reason, considering none of us did anything to any of you.

DrLazarus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 01:53:55 PM »
Just read/skim Grutter v. Bollinger (http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/02-241.ZS.html) for an overview.  Although Justice Thomas has some interesting points.

Or, y'know, come to Michigan and be taught Fourteenth Amendment by those that argued the case.  Additionally, Mark Rosenbaum leads a particularly energetic discussion about AA.
Michigan 2010.  Brr.

soundsgood

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 02:00:24 PM »
When reading Grutter, keep in mind that the majority opinion is one of the most legally dishonest opinions in recent memory.

DrLazarus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 02:10:31 PM »
Agreed, the reasoning is suspect.  I just felt it highlighted some of the principles underlying the process rather well. 
Michigan 2010.  Brr.

soundsgood

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 03:41:49 PM »
Very true.  I just have a little residual anger left from my overwhelmingly liberal Con law class, haha.

princepointe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 06:04:55 PM »
I wouldnt say we get a big admissions boost. But our oppressed background has to be considered. Most of us are first or second generation college because of our backgrounds. Many of us don't have the academic preparation to compete with alot of whites who have a deep educational heritage. Something has to even the playing field.

JDat45

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 12:51:33 AM »
Ha! This thread is so flimsy and transparent. I sure hope you guys are better lawyers than you are posters.  ;D

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 01:04:40 AM »
I wouldnt say we get a big admissions boost. But our oppressed background has to be considered. Most of us are first or second generation college because of our backgrounds. Many of us don't have the academic preparation to compete with alot of whites who have a deep educational heritage. Something has to even the playing field.

;D  ??? >:(