Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 162/3.74- Top University, Chacnes?  (Read 5874 times)

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 162/3.74- Top University, Chacnes?
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2008, 05:23:51 PM »
OMG, why doesn't anyone ever read my posts?! Go to LSN!!!

valjean

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2008, 05:24:32 PM »
Val,

::) ::) ::)

I'm only responding because people who might have some advice will post and not think this is fake. Obviously you don't know what you're talking about, I transfered to Penn State for my senior year and am finishing up now. I'm originally for Iowa and went to the U of Iowa. Maybe you should quit making an ass of u and me  ::) ::) ::)

I can't argue with that many eye-rolling smileys. You win.
Not applying until next cycle...

IvyLeague2Be

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2008, 05:26:53 PM »
Heartbreaker,

Sorry, I looked through LSN and Chiashu already. However, I have some factors that most people on they're don't have (strong PS, top university).

Val,

A sarcastic responce, the last bastion of an idiot

tcwhat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2008, 06:37:39 PM »
Heartbreaker,

Sorry, I looked through LSN and Chiashu already. However, I have some factors that most people on they're don't have (strong PS, top university).

Val,

A sarcastic responce, the last bastion of an idiot

Again, listen to the other posts:

Your school doesn't matter; really it won't, no matter how many times you suggest it, it will not give you a boost. No one is doubting whether PSU is a good school, we are just merely asserting you won't get a prestige bump because of it.  Prestige bumps are reserved for schools where everyone agrees it is a prestigious school, HYP come to mind.

An amazing personal statement won't get you admitted to a school where your numbers haven't gotten in before. 

Seriously, look at LSN/Chiashu/hourumd and you will see your chances. 

IvyLeague2Be

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2008, 06:42:53 PM »
Yeah, ok TcWhat... even thouse that's completely the opposite thing anyone that knows anything about LS admissions will tell you. My prelaw advisor told me that the numbers for people going into law schools can be inaccurate prediction because most are poli-sci majors or some other BS major. I'm going to retake anyway, I've been greating great PT scores and Oct was just a fluke. I already applied to a few schools to get in early, may have them old decision?  What do you guys think (Helpful people!!!)

aed9

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2008, 07:20:38 PM »
I am not really sure why I am replying to this, but here's my honest opinion.  I hope you will be open minded in considering it.  Law schools consider the hard factors - gpa and LSAT - much much much more than they consider soft factors (personal statement, etc.).  Although your physics major will certainly not hurt you, you should not expect that and your personal statement to make up for your LSAT (which, by the way, is a perfectly good score - just not T14 good).

As long as you don't mind spending the money, it doesn't hurt to apply to the T14 minus the publics, but it seems as though you are not being realistic about your chances.  Yes, Penn State is a good school.  No, it is not an excellent school, plus you only attended there for one year. 

Some schools weigh gpa more than LSAT, others do the reverse.  I also just want to mention that you may consider your major harder, but I know plenty of people who were engineers who said there was no way in hell they would major in English.  It's hard to make a blanket judgement when no one agrees on what is difficult.

Finally, I'm not an adcom... I don't think anyone here is.  It's hard to predict cycles and you're going to end up doing what you want, so just good luck with whatever you decide to do and realize that there are plenty of other great schools outside of the T14.

DrLazarus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2008, 08:23:20 PM »
I sincerely hope this is a flame.

On the slim chance that it's not, your odds of getting into the T14, Ivy or not, with those numbers are extremely low.  Your list of safeties are reaches (maybe targets on a a very good day).  Law schools do not care about where you went to school, they only care about GPA and LSAT.  Maybe, just maybe, if everything else was equal, they might look at your major or school.  Even then, I don't think the ad comms at the schools you really want will give Penn State that much credence.

By all means, apply if you want, but I hope you have fee waivers.
Michigan 2010.  Brr.

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2008, 02:27:20 AM »
hahahaha, "non-ivy privates like BC, BU and Penn."

love it.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

hitmon33

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2008, 06:34:12 PM »
Ivy, judging from your responses in this thread, I have to say that you are incredibly delusional.  Honestly, you need a wake-up call and fast.  Chances are, you're not competitive for ANY of the top 14, let alone Ivy.  And when people try and give you an honest assessment, you react negatively.  You seem rather childish. 

IvyLeague2Be

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2008, 09:54:14 AM »
Thanks for all the "advice", I guess  ::)

I'm sory if I seem "delisional", but I really feel like my PS and major will bring up my LSAT. Regardless, I've already enrolled for the December 2008 LSAT and I'm sure I'll bring my score up to a competitve level. The test is not hard, my recent practice LSATs have all been real high which means I'm almost guarented to get a good score in December. Even without the LSAT I don't think you guys are giving enough credance to my PS, which I think can be a determining factor and getting accepted despite medians. Forwhat its worth it's about my experience tutoring other students in Physics, which I feel like is a substantial acheivement and speaks a great deal more about my academic and inteligence ability than a stupid test.

JeNeSaisLaw,

Mistaking the University of Pennsylvania as not part of the Ivy league is reasonable I think, I spoke to a few of my friends here at Penn State and they didn't realize it as well and they are from Pennsylvania originally.

I don't maybe I am not being realistic, but if I was an adcomms I would hire an candidate with a 3.7 in the hardest science program from a top university over a perfect LSAT with a fluffy major like English or Philopophy or some some bull