Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law school is actually really awesome  (Read 1945 times)

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Law school is actually really awesome
« on: October 30, 2008, 02:00:43 AM »
Yes, people female dog and moan about the workload.  Yes, you have to manage your time and put in 8-12 hour days, just like you would at a demanding job.  But yes, it is FANTASTIC.

It's fun to complain about law school, but a lot of people (yes, non-gunners!) actually like it.  It helped me get through the application cycle last year to talk to people who were enjoying themselves, so I figured I'd start this thread.

Just a few of the things I am loving about law school so far:
1. Free food.  All the time.  Everywhere.  Lots of pizza, with the occasional smattering of veggie plates, soul food, sushi, and frequent receptions (not firm receptions, but school ones, open to 1Ls!) with open bar (featuring top shelf liquor) and fancy hours d'oevrs. 
2. Free highlighters and pens.  Geeky, but fun.
3. Lexis and Westlaw fight over you like you are the captain of the football team and it's time to pick a date for the homecoming dance.  It's a little pathetic, but it's fun to have rewards points thrown in your face by one of the services as the rep for the other service starts to look squeemish.
4. Great people.  If you pick the right school, you will really love your classmates.
5. Accessibility of professors.  Besides for standard office hours, I think CLS gives profs money to take students out to lunch in small groups, which not only helps you get to know them informally, but also relates back to item #1.
6. The material is kind of great.  Maybe this is just because I was working in a very uninteresting job last year reading material that was totally irrelevant to my life and career goals.  So perhaps casebooks are just more interesting by comparison.

I know there are a bunch more of us closet law school-lover 1Ls out there...time to come out of the closet...
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Law school is actually really awesome
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 02:15:54 AM »
The facts in edited 1L casebook excerpts are macabre comedic gold.

I'd like to see you bump this thread in December. That's when  :D -->  :'(

haha...i make no promises for December ;)

LSN

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 02:31:55 AM »
Wait til you start reading crim law fact patterns.

Re: December: I speak from experience.

I took crim law as part of my master's program a few years back.  It was great!  Stop filling these kids' heads with negative energy!!

LSN

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 02:38:18 AM »
Negative energy?? Not me! That would be torts: Flying power saw blades, stalkers, braying donkeys, all kinds of collisions, and everything that could possibly go wrong on a train.

hehe.  i'm not taking torts this semester (the other half of the 1L class is), but someone told me of a funny recitation of facts in some torts case...

Kid in class, reciting the facts: So, this guy was walking down the street, and he gets hit by a plane.

Solid stuff right there.

LSN

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 09:37:50 AM »
Maybe it's just your school that's awesome.  Where do you go again?

I'm at CLS.

I have to admit, one of the big factors contributing to my academic quality of life right now is the fact that our legal writing program is pass/fail.  I didn't even consider that when I was looking at law schools, but it takes away a LOT of the stress of the class and the process of memo writing.

LSN

mathlete

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 03:30:26 PM »
You realize you could join a club and get all that and more and not be burdened with crushing debt and no job prospects (in a career you would hate anyway), right?

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 03:33:07 PM »

LSN

IvyLeague2Be

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 06:44:47 PM »
haha, I'm really looking forwad to it as well!

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 06:53:41 PM »
I agree with all of this.  I love law school, too.  I'm sure in December it will get a lot rougher, but so far it is everything I hoped for and more. 

I <3 law school.   :)
To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.

Cabra

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 12:58:03 AM »
Hi Lovebutton--as you know, I think law school is wonderful too!!

I whine big about too much reading, but law school (and CLS specifically) is rad.

I think we 1Ls might be a little less perky in the coming weeks, but make no mistake--it's even better than we say.
CLS 2011