Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Just a Heads-Up: Law School Isn't Fun School  (Read 5850 times)

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Just a Heads-Up: Law School Isn't Fun School
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2008, 03:57:53 AM »
FYI, law school IS fun school at UVA until the major memo rolls around, but that's not until mid- to late-October or so.

Yeah, memo time kind of blows male private part everywhere that has graded legal writing...
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2008, 10:14:59 AM »
FYI, law school IS fun school at UVA until the major memo rolls around, but that's not until mid- to late-October or so.

Yeah, memo time kind of blows male private part everywhere that has graded legal writing...

I know this is sad, but legal writing was my favorite 1L class by far, and I took highest grade. I dunno I liked  it becuase at least you got some feedback before the exam on what the hell you where supposed to be doing, even if that feedback was cryptic and not verty usefull, it was better than nothing. At least I could look up in a book and see what a memo/brief was supposed to look like even if my prof refused to tell us
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2008, 11:33:51 AM »

I know this is sad, but legal writing was my favorite 1L class by far, and I took highest grade. I dunno I liked  it becuase at least you got some feedback before the exam on what the hell you where supposed to be doing, even if that feedback was cryptic and not verty usefull, it was better than nothing. At least I could look up in a book and see what a memo/brief was supposed to look like even if my prof refused to tell us

ditto, me too.  in all respects, actually
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2008, 03:34:23 AM »

Nothing wrong with enjoying your classes. I wish I could like legal writing that much. Seriously, I know that if I didn't spend most of my time hating on it, I'd do much better. And yeah, feedback and being able to see lots of good examples is really, really nice.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

ekm86

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2008, 12:22:41 PM »
Learned Hand is obviously the best judge.  Here's a few facts about him (credit: my classmates).

Learned Hand once overruled the law of gravity, because he could.

Learned Hand has jurisdiction everywhere, because by living in a world ruled by his laws, we have purposefully availed ourselves of him

Learned Hand's dissenting opinions are binding authority--forever.

Learned Hand invented the Mailbox Rule at a time that mailboxes did not exist.

When God created the first Earth, Learned Hand did not think it was good enough and remanded with instructions consistent with his opinion.

Learned hand skips the "discovery" phase of trial on grounds of his omniscience.

Nobody dissents from Learned Hand ... twice.

HAHAHA this just made my day! just finished reading it aloud to some of fellow classmates in the library. Someone felt we should add "Learned Hand's middle name is 12(b)(6)."

stricly bricly

• Sr. Citizen
  • berkeley 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2008, 04:56:42 PM »
this OP is brilliant.

anyway, i love 1L, but i have no advice to offer re studying that anyone should actually listen to. we had to write a memo for torts, which was EXTREMELY unpleasant, but we already turned our revised drafts in so i have nothing to really complain about until exam time.  we had a pretty cool assignment for the big LRW memo, and i loved writing it.  LOVED it.  so there.

i do wish my classmates who did the civpro rap would write another one that includes discovery, jury trial, privity, preclusion, and whatever other crap i've been ignoring for the latter half of the semester

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2008, 10:00:02 PM »
this OP is brilliant.

anyway, i love 1L, but i have no advice to offer re studying that anyone should actually listen to. we had to write a memo for torts, which was EXTREMELY unpleasant, but we already turned our revised drafts in so i have nothing to really complain about until exam time.  we had a pretty cool assignment for the big LRW memo, and i loved writing it.  LOVED it.  so there.

i do wish my classmates who did the civpro rap would write another one that includes discovery, jury trial, privity, preclusion, and whatever other crap i've been ignoring for the latter half of the semester

have you seen the contracts one?  set to the tune of "i like big butts"?
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

MrDiggler

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2008, 10:01:07 PM »
Great post final id.

I love law school, too.
I'm hot 'cause I'm fly
You're ~hot, therefore you're ~fly