Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Just a Heads-Up: Law School Isn't Fun School  (Read 5893 times)

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Just a Heads-Up: Law School Isn't Fun School
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2008, 08:25:53 PM »
Before you go to law school, realize that it is not easy.  It is not kindergarden; there is no finger painting.  In fact, it may be the opposite of easy: it may be hard

Every night, I have lots of reading to do.  Most of this reading is very dense; some would even argue that it's intentionally obfuscating because judges can't write for poo unless they're Kozinski, who's the f-ing man -- and there are a few other good writers on the 9th circuit, actually (see: Christian v. Mattel).  Sometimes, I have to read as many as thirty, if not fifty, pages.  In one night! 

Law school, as you know, is graded on a curve, which means that you're graded against your classmates.  They all study really really hard.  Some people stay hours in the library.  A few memorize a bunch of FRCP rules, which are also not easy.

Anyway, be sure you know what you're getting into.

Thirty to fifty pages in one night is hard?  That sounds easy.  The Wall Street journal end to end is a similar length. 

I think the problem is that most people compare the amount of reading they have to do in law school to the amount they had to do in UG. By that standard, slogging through the ingredients on a soda can is difficult.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

bloomlaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Welcome to the Monkey House
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2008, 08:29:47 PM »
Before you go to law school, realize that it is not easy.  It is not kindergarden; there is no finger painting.  In fact, it may be the opposite of easy: it may be hard

Every night, I have lots of reading to do.  Most of this reading is very dense; some would even argue that it's intentionally obfuscating because judges can't write for poo unless they're Kozinski, who's the f-ing man -- and there are a few other good writers on the 9th circuit, actually (see: Christian v. Mattel).  Sometimes, I have to read as many as thirty, if not fifty, pages.  In one night! 

Law school, as you know, is graded on a curve, which means that you're graded against your classmates.  They all study really really hard.  Some people stay hours in the library.  A few memorize a bunch of FRCP rules, which are also not easy.

Thirty to fifty pages in one night is hard?  That sounds easy.  The Wall Street journal end to end is a similar length. 

I think the problem is that most people compare the amount of reading they have to do in law school to the amount they had to do in UG. By that standard, slogging through the ingredients on a soda can is difficult.

Yeah, I get that feeling to. But I was a literature major in UG, so I feel the transition won't nearly be as difficult as for some people. Its an underrated asset of those types of majors.

BlueGreen

• Sr. Citizen
  • [insert vague quote here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2008, 08:38:01 PM »

so you think reading 30 to 50 pages of a casebook in one night would be as easy (or almost as easy) as reading an issue of the wall street journal? if you do, you're assuming that the density of the material in a casebook is similar to that of a periodical. you are very, very wrong (says a 1L stressed about her readings for tomorrow and is annoyed at the suggestion that she's stressing over something as easy as reading a magazine).
HLS class of 2011
LSN

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2008, 08:44:27 PM »

Yeah, I get that feeling to. But I was a literature major in UG, so I feel the transition won't nearly be as difficult as for some people. Its an underrated asset of those types of majors.

I was an English major.  Don't flatter yourself.

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2008, 08:45:18 PM »
::laughs at all the 1L's who are still reading::

learned hand had a brother named noble hand.  i personally would have named them "right" and "left"
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2008, 08:55:55 PM »

learned hand had a brother named noble hand.  i personally would have named them "right" and "left"

Now this is a question I've had, how do you get past the reading? I can see not doing briefs, but how do you not read and still do well? I don't doubt that it's possible, I just really don't see how.

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2008, 09:04:37 PM »

Now this is a question I've had, how do you get past the reading? I can see not doing briefs, but how do you not read and still do well? I don't doubt that it's possible, I just really don't see how.

i have numerous classes that are lecture only.  i'm not wasting my time reading for those.  i will typically have any cases in the reading up on lexis headnotes, on the off chance i do get called on.  by 3L year, i know enough about the topics to have a reasonable general discussion about anything else. 

additionally, i ALWAYS have outlines from upperclassmen from previous iterations of the course (yes, i add notes during the lecture).  i just follow along with that.

i havent read much since the second semester of 1L year.  having the right outlines and knowing what to study makes all the difference.  last semester's gpa was 3.85 over 18 hours, so as improbable as it seems, it works.....at least for me.   ymmv.
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2008, 09:16:36 PM »

i have numerous classes that are lecture only.  i'm not wasting my time reading for those.  i will typically have any cases in the reading up on lexis headnotes, on the off chance i do get called on.  by 3L year, i know enough about the topics to have a reasonable general discussion about anything else. 

additionally, i ALWAYS have outlines from upperclassmen from previous iterations of the course (yes, i add notes during the lecture).  i just follow along with that.

i havent read much since the second semester of 1L year.  having the right outlines and knowing what to study makes all the difference.  last semester's gpa was 3.85 over 18 hours, so as improbable as it seems, it works.....at least for me.   ymmv.

Very nice, thank you.

Do most people seem to quit reading after a certain point? Right now, everyone reads pretty much everything, but I could easily see some people getting burned out on it by next semester or especially next year.

I don't really mind the reading, but I sure would like to save the extra 10-15 hours a week.

Number81

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2008, 10:00:56 PM »
Learned Hand is obviously the best judge.  Here's a few facts about him (credit: my classmates).

Learned Hand once overruled the law of gravity, because he could.

Learned Hand has jurisdiction everywhere, because by living in a world ruled by his laws, we have purposefully availed ourselves of him

Learned Hand's dissenting opinions are binding authority--forever.

Learned Hand invented the Mailbox Rule at a time that mailboxes did not exist.

When God created the first Earth, Learned Hand did not think it was good enough and remanded with instructions consistent with his opinion.

Learned hand skips the "discovery" phase of trial on grounds of his omniscience.

Nobody dissents from Learned Hand ... twice.
Emory 2L
LSN

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2008, 10:32:20 PM »

Reading is totally useless.  IF you haven't realized that by now, you're in trouble.  Look at some past exams.  All you need to do well in a good understanding of the BLL and an ability to apply it to hypotheticals.  Most cases are completely useless.  And class?  Please.  The last thing I need for the exam is more policy, except on the 15% policy question.