Law School Discussion

Just a Heads-Up: Law School Isn't Fun School

Re: Just a Heads-Up: Law School Isn't Fun School
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 11:29:38 PM »
some would even argue that it's intentionally obfuscating because judges can't write for poo unless they're Kozinski, who's the f-ing man

I'm surprised you aren't singing the praises of your 7th Cir. brethren.  I think Easterbrook may be the best stylist among currently sitting judges I've read.

Posner is pretty good, too.  I loved the Desnick opinion, though I thought that Posner sometimes seems too smart for his own good.  The sheer erudition in Desnick is overwhelming.

Easterbrook is very lucid, but there's just something about the 9th circuit.

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 11:30:04 PM »

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 11:34:16 PM »
some would even argue that it's intentionally obfuscating because judges can't write for poo unless they're Kozinski, who's the f-ing man

I'm surprised you aren't singing the praises of your 7th Cir. brethren.  I think Easterbrook may be the best stylist among currently sitting judges I've read.

Posner is pretty good, too.  I loved the Desnick opinion, though I thought that Posner sometimes seems too smart for his own good.  The sheer erudition in Desnick is overwhelming.

Easterbrook is very lucid, but there's just something about the 9th circuit.

Well, yes, I've always been partial to Reinhardt, myself.

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 11:43:11 PM »
i take issue with the subject of this thread.  i freaking love law school.

good advice: for the year before law school, work in a job that is completely irrelevant to your life goals and interests.  it helps.

but beyond that, i am surprised at how much I'm enjoying the experience...i can't be the only one!

Ninja1

• ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2008, 12:00:20 AM »
female dog please, it's all about Learned Hand. Everyone else is inferior at all levels.

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2008, 12:05:06 AM »
female dog please, it's all about Learned Hand. Everyone else is inferior at all levels.

Judge Learned Hand is clearly the best judicial name ever, although Judge Wisdom comes in a close second.  Hand wins because he has a cousin named Noble Hand, who was also a judge.  Too perfect.

clairel

• UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2008, 11:31:25 AM »
0Ls, please note: Wally's experience is totally because he's living in New Grad, which is where all the crazy gunners live. live in regents or grad student housing and you can proceed in ignorant bliss about how much others are studying (which ultimately has relatively little to do with grades).

Ninja1

• ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2008, 03:02:34 AM »

Judge Learned Hand is clearly the best judicial name ever, although Judge Wisdom comes in a close second.  Hand wins because he has a cousin named Noble Hand, who was also a judge.  Too perfect.

But wasn't Judge Wisdom's full name Minor Wisdom?

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2008, 11:44:41 AM »
Before you go to law school, realize that it is not easy.  It is not kindergarden; there is no finger painting.  In fact, it may be the opposite of easy: it may be hard

Every night, I have lots of reading to do.  Most of this reading is very dense; some would even argue that it's intentionally obfuscating because judges can't write for poo unless they're Kozinski, who's the f-ing man -- and there are a few other good writers on the 9th circuit, actually (see: Christian v. Mattel).  Sometimes, I have to read as many as thirty, if not fifty, pages.  In one night! 

Law school, as you know, is graded on a curve, which means that you're graded against your classmates.  They all study really really hard.  Some people stay hours in the library.  A few memorize a bunch of FRCP rules, which are also not easy.

Anyway, be sure you know what you're getting into.

Thirty to fifty pages in one night is hard?  That sounds easy.  The Wall Street journal end to end is a similar length.