Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How Tough is 1L Hiring Going to Be?  (Read 3897 times)

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How Tough is 1L Hiring Going to Be?
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2008, 09:57:58 AM »
White & case has an inflated vault ranking because they are really old, used to be good, and are in new york.

Kind of like Shearman?

that was more of a recent decline, and not as far, but yeah.

Shellby117

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2008, 10:38:25 AM »
Sorry to jump in on this conversation, but I have a small insight into this problem. I work in the litigation department at a big firm (for St. Louis, so take that for what it's worth) and the new associates as well as some older ones have been begging the paralegal I work with to give them work. She has over a million pages of documents that have to be reviewed for a big case and they keep asking her to give them some of the documents, since it's billable and they have nothing else to do/bill. She gives each a couple thousand to start, but they call her at least twice a week asking for more. She actually called an older associate to ask if she could take some of his and give them to the newbies, and he said no he needed them.

From my experience, the economy tanking is not making litigation busier. What I've seen is more cases settle than normal. Big business, who are worried about money, are just settling these cases so they don't have to pay the huge legal bills...and trust me, those bills are HUGE. If these cases go to trial the legal bill is over a million dollars for that month (since there's 12 lawyers working on the same case). They figure they'll just settle for that amount and same themselves the trouble.
"No one lays on his deathbed wishing he had spent more time at the office"

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2008, 10:57:06 AM »
Here's what I am seeing: people are not settling. Our clients, at least, are unusually willing to go to trial. Second, litigators are getting more transaction-related work. A lot of deals are falling through or being modified, and this leads to at least the spector of litigation, which means that litigators are brought in to advise. I have done two matters where deals were looking a bit dicey so they asked us to give advice.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2008, 11:47:13 AM »
You are a moron.  The top vault firms all care about their percentage.  Why do you think firms like white and case accepted almost all of their over subscribed, 114 summer class last year? 

When firms get a reputation for lots of no-offers, they lose talent in the long run. 

Maybe at the shithole firms you are applying to they don't care about their recruiting image, but the big firms do.

See the bolded - last year was last year.  The economy and the financial health of firms today is drastically different than it was one year ago today - I mean, who would have thought we'd have several established firms going under?

Similarly, firms are taking a drastically different approach to hiring 2Ls this year, and I can easily see this extending into 1L hiring.  It's about the bottom line, and frankly, hiring a 1L seems like a monumental waste of money.

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2008, 02:57:15 PM »
I don't know... I think 1L job is probably usually neutral, like you say, but it has the potential to be a plus or a minus.  If you do something unique (which I sort of did), employers may find it intriguing.  More than caring about the work I did in particular, employers seemed to like that I thought outside the box in getting my job instead of going through the normal channels.
Michigan Law Class of 2010

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2008, 03:41:25 PM »
I don't think it's a plus or a minus in the sense of whether just knowing that you had that job changes their opinion of you. The advantage is you know a little more about how firms work and you can probably ask better questions and converse more intelligently. Also if you have an offer it means you don't have to apply to any "safety firms." The disadvantage is that you don't have something to talk about that is that interesting to your interviewer. They all know what being a summer is like.