Law School Discussion

How Tough is 1L Hiring Going to Be?

Re: How Tough is 1L Hiring Going to Be?
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 12:29:04 PM »
I didn't ask, we just kinda discussed.  I mean obviously not every one, but it's like you are arguing to argue. 

The point is having you sit here and tell people they are screwed does no good, when you have no idea.

Just like your bull comment about 50% of your 1L's getting market paying Biglaw jobs.  I mean give me a break dude.

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 12:30:02 PM »
Out of all of my interviews and all of my call backs this year, only one asked if I received an offer last summer.  It really is not as common as you think for 1L's.

Or maybe your experience was out of the ordinary!

OMG alternate explanations. Who'd've thought?

None of my friends had anyone ask either. Ever stop to think that you may be the one out of the ordinary?

I didn't say that the folks saying you're wrong are correct (for the record, I worked for the gov't my 1L summer. It was a fantastic experience. But most people I know who did work for firms during their 1L summer were asked about offers pretty consistently).

I simply suggested that you don't get to take two sets of limited anecdotal data and declare that you're correct just because you say so - it could fall either way.

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 12:30:39 PM »
Right, it can fall either way.  Fair enough.  Shall we agree to let it rest there?

flyaway

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 01:04:16 PM »
I think I got asked that in 90% of my OCI interviews.

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2008, 06:51:20 AM »
Also, don't think that the economy is going to totally screw you.  Firms love 1L's.  They can take on as many as they can afford to pay and even if they no-offer some, it doesn't hurt them because 1L's aren't included in NALP reporting statistics.  Only those "eligible to receive offers" are reported, therefore it's a win-win situation for a law firm to hire a 1L.

are you stupid? Firms are not worrying about their nalp stats. They are worried about profits. They are going to be a whole lot more reluctant to spend a bunch of money on somebody to then no-offer them.

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2008, 06:54:22 AM »
You are a moron.  The top vault firms all care about their percentage.  Why do you think firms like white and case accepted almost all of their over subscribed, 114 summer class last year? 

When firms get a reputation for lots of no-offers, they lose talent in the long run. 

Maybe at the shithole firms you are applying to they don't care about their recruiting image, but the big firms do.

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2008, 07:00:02 AM »
First, you talk about top firms, and then give white and case as an example. I'm not going to comment further on that. Second, I don't mean that firms don't worry about nalp stats at all, what I mean is that they aren't trying to game the NALP stats now, they are trying not to waste a bunch of money on some 1Ls who will 1) likely be able to get better offers the following year and 2) who won't be coming back for an extra year. You spend the exact same amount of money on 1Ls as you do on 2Ls, but if you are trying to recruit for that extra year down the line, you can put the cost off for one year during the tough economic times. Third, I am not appying to any firms, I am an associate at a V10.

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2008, 07:08:07 AM »
*&^%, the economy gets tough and everybody sues everybody. Litigation is crazy right now.

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2008, 07:25:28 AM »
Vault 20 isn't top enough for you?  I picked the end of the list and I used them as an example because of their size.

Where do you work hot *&^%? 

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2008, 07:42:08 AM »
Vault 20 isn't top enough for you?  I picked the end of the list and I used them as an example because of their size.

Where do you work hot *&^%? 

A v10. White & case has an inflated vault ranking because they are really old, used to be good, and are in new york. There are much lower ranked firms that are much better.