Law School Discussion

How Tough is 1L Hiring Going to Be?

How Tough is 1L Hiring Going to Be?
« on: October 29, 2008, 04:04:33 PM »
I'm debating how much time I should invest in the process.

I want to work at a firm, which I know will be tough, but I'll also settle for an RA position.  How tough is it going to be?  Should I prepare cover letters and leave it at that?  I want to focus primarily on my studies.

smiley

Re: How Tough is 1L Hiring Going to Be?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 04:00:33 AM »
I don't really know how tough it is going to be - I guess firms will be tough and regularly competitive government positions will be tough, but internships with judges, public interest, and research positions might be as usual.

I know you're at Chicago so I'm not sure how your exam periods work, but you'll get a break for the winter holidays, right? I worked at a firm my 1L summer (granted, this was over two years ago now) and didn't even start with mass-mailing until during the holiday break. A lot of 1Ls who are on semester systems rather than quarters also wait on this because they want to send their first semester grades. Firm jobs for 1L summer are just kind of luck anyway (that's how I look at the job I happened to get), so I don't think it's a big deal to concentrate on your studies and work on the job when you have time.

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 09:16:28 AM »
Also, don't think that the economy is going to totally screw you.  Firms love 1L's.  They can take on as many as they can afford to pay and even if they no-offer some, it doesn't hurt them because 1L's aren't included in NALP reporting statistics.  Only those "eligible to receive offers" are reported, therefore it's a win-win situation for a law firm to hire a 1L.

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 09:24:18 AM »
Can you read?

It is win-win because 1L's can get a shot at bigfirm experience and getting no-offered as a 1L isn't nearly as detrimental as a 2L.  Firms get the benefit of testing out candidates and seeing if they fit without the worry that they will be hammered on NALP for no-offering.

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 09:55:21 AM »
I'm not being abrasive, that's just how you read it.

I have 3 friends that as 1L's didn't receive offers and simply told interviewers about it up-front and described the economy when it came up.

However, out of over 30 interviews combined, plus call-backs, very few firms even asked if they had received offers.  It simply isn't a question that comes up with 1L's as some firms don't even GIVE offers to 1L's.

They aren't assumptions, they are based on actual facts.

Matthies

• View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 11:33:27 AM »
This is probably different because I clerk year round part time but I have worked at firms where it was clear I had no interest a permanent position there, or where they were not looking for anyone permanent. Like my current clerk job, its not in the field I want to practice, but it pays great, I set my own hours and I can do all most all of my work from my home office. My boss knows I wonít likely stay after graduation, but he likes my work product and I like the flexibility to work anytime I want/donít want.

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 11:45:47 AM »
Out of all of my interviews and all of my call backs this year, only one asked if I received an offer last summer.  It really is not as common as you think for 1L's.

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 11:59:02 AM »
Out of all of my interviews and all of my call backs this year, only one asked if I received an offer last summer.  It really is not as common as you think for 1L's.

Or maybe your experience was out of the ordinary!

OMG alternate explanations. Who'd've thought?

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 12:11:38 PM »
Where I can I find midlevel firms?  Symplicity is a little dry.

Also, I might want to do something like family law.  Would that deter big firms from picking me up during 2L summer?

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 12:25:15 PM »

Or maybe your experience was out of the ordinary!

OMG alternate explanations. Who'd've thought?

None of my friends had anyone ask either. Ever stop to think that you may be the one out of the ordinary?