Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The "I voted for Obama but still feel right of center support group"  (Read 1322 times)

obamacon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Crazier things have happened, so I tell myself.

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
Re: The "I voted for Obama but still feel right of center support group"
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 05:55:34 PM »
I'm left-of-center who had to hold my nose to vote for the right-of-center Obama.  Can I join?
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 06:08:53 PM »
I'm a fiscal conservative.  I believe that less government is better government.  I also believe that social issues should be determined on the state level regardless of my personal biases.

What exactly are "social issues"?  Who gets to join which country club?
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.

nontradintexas

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 06:19:49 PM »
I'm a fiscal conservative.  I believe that less government is better government.  I also believe that social issues should be determined on the state level regardless of my personal biases.

However, I staunchly believe in two things: 1) supply side economics is a fallacy.  I believe economics works fairly simply: giving tax breaks to Best Buy will not cause Best Buy to hire more employees.  Providing Best Buy with more customers will cause Best Buy to hire more employees.  Therefore, I see tax breaks for the middle class as more economically sensible.  2) The U.S isn't powerful enough at this time to act unilaterally.  I believe Obama is more likely to acknowledge this.

So, as a person who's classically conservative, I have no qualms about voting for Obama. 

Additionally, I don't believe, in fact it's fairly obvious, that the GOP is NOT the party of small government.  Therefore, I feel I am conservative without a party that truly represents my preferences.

Well said, Pardon Johnny Cash, your sentiments mirror mine exactly.  I voted Democrat for the first time in my life this year, because I just can't identify with so many things the GOP says.  I hate that there is no viable third party candidate who truly advocates for smaller government.  (Yes, I am aware the libertarian party exists, but what is the likelihood they will elect a candidate anytime soon?)  

To me, it all came down not to who would do the most good things, but who would do the least bad things.  In my mind that was Obama.  

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 06:24:52 PM »
tag
Harvard Law: What, like it's hard?

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • tea baggers, unite! screw u.s.a.!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 06:25:35 PM »
not "conservatives" also believe constitution should, you know, be followed?

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 06:26:40 PM »

What exactly are "social issues"?  Who gets to join which country club?

Things that do not involve collection or expenditure of government funds?

I can't think of a single such thing.  Can you?

space for rent.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • tea baggers, unite! screw u.s.a.!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 06:28:14 PM »
I'm a fiscal conservative. I believe that less government is better government. I also believe that social issues should be determined on the state level regardless of my personal biases.

What exactly are "social issues"? Who gets to join which country club?

Things that do not involve collection or expenditure of government funds?

like, say, censorship?  religious freedom?

nontradintexas

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 06:39:16 PM »
"Social issues" to me would be things like abortion, same-sex marriage, etc. 

I would like to see some of those types of things as state, not federal, issues.

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 07:04:51 PM »
"Social issues" to me would be things like abortion, same-sex marriage, etc. 

I would like to see some of those types of things as state, not federal, issues.

You mean, how like my parent's marriage was illegal in 17 states at the time of my birth. 

And how Colorado is looking to ban all forms of contraception other than "barrier methods" this November?  Even miscarriages will be subject to police investigation.

And how is a woman's control over her own uterus not a civil rights issue?  Yes, let's have states decide basic medical decisions. 

And "separate but equal" worked so well in this country for a few hundred years, let's create a whole new underclass.

None of these issues are "social".  They're basic civil rights.  Human rights.  And should not be subject to the tyranny of the majority, aka, state legislatures and "popular" referenda.

space for rent.