Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 3.3/170  (Read 3240 times)

MLaw11

• View Profile
Re: 3.3/170
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 01:04:10 PM »
The bottom line is a 170 will get you into almost any of the top 15 schools regardless of your GPA

No.

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 01:20:10 PM »
The bottom line is a 170 will get you into almost any of the top 15 schools regardless of your GPA

Where's Bad Advice Quoter when you need him?
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 03:09:28 PM »

Certainly not. 
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

bloomlaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Welcome to the Monkey House
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 05:44:47 PM »
I will say this. If you apply to every school from 6 to 14, and your GPA is over 3, in all likelihood, you will get into a t14.

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2008, 09:56:14 AM »
I'd discuss it in an addendum, not in your PS.  I'd also take special care to not sound whiny (not that you're doing that here, but addenda always run the risk).
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

Top Cat

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ky. born, Ky. bred... when I die, I'll be Ky. dead
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2008, 02:41:39 PM »
Thank you all for your input, I do appreciate it. Honestly I'm worried about my addendum. I want these schools to understand that if it wasn't for my partial blindness in the latter third/half of my college career, I would have achieved a much higher GPA and not trended downwards. In fact, the semester that it happened, Thanksgiving of my Junior year, I was on track for possibly straight A's. Of course everything I worked for was ruined, all my A's fell to B+'s and one to a C+. Reading was just too difficult and I couldn't curtail my courseload until the following semester. I never thought I'd graduate as low as a 3.3. Some things are beyond our control though.  :( Should I include any of this in my personal statement, or is this stricly for the addendum?

By the way, yes my eye is completely clear now. Everything dissolved and I can't wait to devote every waking minute to law school. 

This is amazing... the one-eyed gunner. ;)
University of Kentucky 1L

LSN

IvyLeague2Be

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2008, 07:05:09 PM »
A 170 should def get u into almost all of the top 15, save for maybe HYS. 170 is the 99th percentile, meaning almost no one has a score that high. If there are 200 law schools a 99th percenilte should qualify u for the top 2 and be auto admit for the rest. However, the low GPA does bring it down a bit- I'd say in everywhere cept HYS, and there it'd be a coinflip

bloomlaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Welcome to the Monkey House
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2008, 08:47:14 PM »
A 170 should def get u into almost all of the top 15, save for maybe HYS. 170 is the 99th percentile, meaning almost no one has a score that high. If there are 200 law schools a 99th percenilte should qualify u for the top 2 and be auto admit for the rest. However, the low GPA does bring it down a bit- I'd say in everywhere cept HYS, and there it'd be a coinflip

Ignore this. Blind optimism is great, but it tends to be out of touch with reality. You have a small chance at every school in the t14 outside of HYS (at some, less than 2%, i'd say), but as I said, if you shotgun the t14, you'll get into 1 or 2.

servinglife

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2008, 09:09:24 PM »
If I were you, I'd consider making this the focus of my personal statement. It clearly is a significant experience in your life, and if you think about it right and present it right it could be something that diffenentiates you from the other applicants. Your success is in your own hands. Make the most of this experience.

TheBreadWinner

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2008, 11:00:14 PM »

This is pure comedy gold.
íMe cago en la leche!