Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Ohio State 1L Taking Questions  (Read 1436 times)

Brutus "The Buckeye" Beefcake

• No relation to Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake
    • View Profile
Ohio State 1L Taking Questions
« on: October 28, 2008, 04:47:55 PM »
I haven't been here in a while but I remember getting good info here during the summer so I thought I'd pay it forward  :)
I am THE Ohio State University Troll.

Michael52

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ohio State 1L Taking Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 10:00:12 PM »
What kind of lsat do I need with a 3.5 gpa from Miami? I have a 161 but I'm a little worried and thinking I should retake it. What do you think? Any info about admissions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

bloomlaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Welcome to the Monkey House
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 10:15:17 PM »
I'm pretty interested in the school.. Where do most of the graduates go? I assume there is a good base in Cincy/Cleveland, but what about other areas in the region.. Pittsburgh/Detroit/Indianapolis.. Anybody go to Chicago?

I'll have more Qs at some point

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 02:04:09 PM »
What kind of lsat do I need with a 3.5 gpa from Miami? I have a 161 but I'm a little worried and thinking I should retake it. What do you think? Any info about admissions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

I'm guessing you mean Miami in Ohio and not Florida? My 1L class actually has students from both those schools, and tons from Miami OH, but I digress.

161/3.5 should put OSU Moritz solidly in your 'target' range. In theory (as long as the rest of your application is decent) you have a good chance to get in, as 161 is the median LSAT score and I think 3.5 is close to the median GPA. I would recommend you apply as early as possible if you want to got to Moritz. The earlier you apply, the more open seats, the higher chance of getting in. I got in with a 3.38 and a 163 with an ok scholarship, FWIW.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 02:10:31 PM »
I'm pretty interested in the school.. Where do most of the graduates go? I assume there is a good base in Cincy/Cleveland, but what about other areas in the region.. Pittsburgh/Detroit/Indianapolis.. Anybody go to Chicago?

I'll have more Qs at some point

Most graduates do stay in Ohio, but that is largely due to self-selection. 60% of students at OSU Moritz are from the state of Ohio, and 60% of graduates end up getting jobs in Ohio after graduation. I'd bet its the same people for the most part. After Ohio and Washington D.C., OSU places best in Chicago. Looking at the OCI list I know that a few Pittsburgh and Indy firms do interview at OSU. Not sure about Detroit, but it is only a few hours away driving so I imagine opportunities there would be decent (but why would you want to live in Detroit? haha  ;)). In the Midwest OSU is well respected.

I actually am not from the Midwest. I am from California. I talked to many OSU Law alums in California before I decided to go there, and they all spoke highly of their experience. When I visited, that sealed the deal. The atmosphere here is much more relaxed than at most law schools. Sure there is a bit of a high school vibe at times, but all law schools have that.

bloomlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 06:07:02 PM »
Thanks.. how are they with financial aid? I'm a 171/3 from western pa, and I'm very debt aversive. It seems like OSU would be a decent fit with their pretty easy in state requirements.

Michael52

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 08:06:27 PM »
Yea sorry I meant Miami- Ohio. Thanks for your help/reassurance. I just applied early decision last night so I hope all goes well. go bucks!

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 05:18:00 PM »
Thanks.. how are they with financial aid? I'm a 171/3 from western pa, and I'm very debt aversive. It seems like OSU would be a decent fit with their pretty easy in state requirements.

It would be good in terms of being debt adverse, but if I were you I'd sent apps to some T14's if you aren't already. Full price T14 > Full ride OSU (except maybe if you want to practice in Ohio).

bloomlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 05:25:12 PM »

It would be good in terms of being debt adverse, but if I were you I'd sent apps to some T14's if you aren't already. Full price T14 > Full ride OSU (except maybe if you want to practice in Ohio).

I'm not sure I want biglaw, I don't want my hand forced. But yes, I am applying to some T14's.