Law School Discussion

Where in the T14 can I get into?

Where in the T14 can I get into?
« on: October 28, 2008, 01:37:17 PM »
So I have a 3.7 GPA from one of the public Ivys, so I doubt there will be any questions about my aptitude.  I'm writing a slamming senior thesis, so it'll sure to look good. I'm really trying to get into the T14.  I am taking the LSAT in December.  I have been averaging anywhere from 167 to 175.  I haven't taken all of my tests timed, I'm going to start doing that soon.  I know a partner at a law firm that's going to write me a great letter of rec.  I've also had plenty of leadership positions through my time at my fraternity and I've spent a couple summers helping with Habitat for Humanity.  What are my ranges?

wtracing

• Roll Angry Wave!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Where in the T14 can I get into?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 01:40:27 PM »
Not meaning to slam you at all here, but first off:

I love the term public ivy.  But honestly, if its not HYS I doubt they care where you went.  What they do care about is whether your major was challenging. If thats a 3.7 in communications it will not be nearly as impressive as biosciences, etc. 

I'd say really wait and see how your actual LSAT goes.  If you're doing them untimed your score may fluctuate.  Plus, you may score drastically better or worse than your practice scores during the actual exam.  Right now, look at the T14 and see where interests you.  Don't base it on where you're likely to get in.  Then when the test score arrives apply at schools that you actually like.  I think that makes sense, no?

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 02:02:08 PM »
Bump

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 02:04:45 PM »
Bump

I'm so glad you bumped this 13 minutes after Dennis answered.

wtracing

• Roll Angry Wave!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 02:08:28 PM »
I agree w/ Dennis on the public ivy issue.  There are private schools and state schools. Sure, some are better than others but the same may be said for private schools too.  Just be proud of where you went (or regret it) but I hate hate hate the public ivy designation.

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 02:15:11 PM »
Hi,

I'm the Dean of Yale Law School. At first I didn't think you had the aptitude, but then I saw you had a 3.7 from one of the Public Ivies. Very impressive. Welcome to Yale - don't even bother taking the LSAT, you've practiced as high as 175 so that's good enough for us!

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 02:15:53 PM »
public ivy is a term used by people trying to rationalize their public school pedigree. attending the university of pennsylvania.  it is really sad.

harsh.

I don't go to the U of Pennsylvania, but close.

TimMitchell

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 02:17:49 PM »
How did you get a hold of my baby picture? Anyway, it's going to be pretty hard for anyone to help you with out a real score. Are you planning on applying this cycle?

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 02:18:15 PM »
Bump

I'm so glad you bumped this 13 minutes after Dennis answered.

So you have to post in here mocking me, yet you can't say anything constructive about my predicament?  Seriously, a 3.7 from a very reputable school and a 175, I might have some open doors, I could use a little bit of advice from the knowledgable posters.

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 02:20:08 PM »
How did you get a hold of my baby picture? Anyway, it's going to be pretty hard for anyone to help you with out a real score. Are you planning on applying this cycle?

That's why I gave a range, from 167-175.  Depending upon where I score within that range should help people to estimate where I am.  Again, I haven't really taken a timed test all the way through (from section 1 to section 6), but I couldn't imagine that my range will change very dramatically.