Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: SLU---help!!  (Read 2807 times)

Blair180

• View Profile
SLU---help!!
« on: October 28, 2008, 04:06:49 PM »
I'm looking into going to St. Louis University b/c I love St. Louis and can't get into Wash U >:( anyway, does anybody know much about SLU's reputation? I'm not from the area so I am hoping someone on here has heard something about the school.I know they are ranking 95, which is definitely not impressive, but health care law is #1 in country. Other than those stats, I can't find anything!!
GPA: 3.88 LSAT: 160

wtracing

• Sr. Citizen
  • Roll Angry Wave!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SLU---help!!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 04:37:46 PM »
I am from the KC area and had considered SLU briefly.  It seems their St. Louis reputation is pretty good.  SLU alums watch out for each other within the city and with good grades I think you'll find a pretty good job.  They don't reach very much farther than St. Louis however.  KC has several schools nearby with loyal alums and Chicago has an onslaught of applicants from all over.  If you'd be happy staying in St. Louis after school and working there and they give you a good chunk of money, I think its a good choice.  Their reputation there is pretty good since they pretty much dominate the local market.
Tulane Class of 2011

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 09:57:03 PM »
I'm looking into going to St. Louis University b/c I love St. Louis and can't get into Wash U >:( anyway, does anybody know much about SLU's reputation? I'm not from the area so I am hoping someone on here has heard something about the school.I know they are ranking 95, which is definitely not impressive, but health care law is #1 in country. Other than those stats, I can't find anything!!

If you want to practice in St. Louis after you graduate, SLU or MU may be a better option than WUSTL anyways.  Are you actually interested in health care law?

Have you retaken the LSAT?

Blair180

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 12:42:38 PM »
I would like to stay in St. Louis post graduation, but have never lived there so I may end up not wanting to stay there. I have not retaken the LSAT yet, I'm stuck with a 160 right now. I'm very interested in their health care program, but haven't exactly narrowed down what specialty I want to go in yet...I'm also considering IUPUI, but I'm not sure the reputations these northern schools have. I know the rankings, etc. but it's going to come down to cost for me. However, I don't want to go to SLU just because it's cheaper if IUPUI is considered a way better school. I'm retaking LSAT in December and am hoping for a 165 so I can get some scholarship offers at other schools

If you want to practice in St. Louis after you graduate, SLU or MU may be a better option than WUSTL anyways.  Are you actually interested in health care law?

Have you retaken the LSAT?
GPA: 3.88 LSAT: 160

DrLazarus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 01:42:20 PM »
When dealing with regional schools, it's all about location (city you can see yourself in, proximity to family, spouse, etc.).

SLU is a very solid school in St. Louis.  The top 20 percent or so have good prospects at all the heavy players in STL if firm life is what you want (Bryan Cave, Armstrong, Husch, Greensfelder, Thompson, etc.).  Local SA/public defender prospects are good too, if that's your thing.  The rest have opportunities based on their networking ability and their interests -- from what I know, those outside of the top 20-30 percent will likely end up at mid to small firms or government work (...or unemployed for a bit).  Those percentages definitely get adjusted in this economy, but hopefully that won't have much of an effect on this year's entering class.  STL has a great cost of living, too -- market is around 120, which will go far.

IUPUI is pretty much the same story in Indianapolis.

US News rankings can be misleading.  Schools outside of the T10/T14/T20 (what range is up for debate) are regional, with maybe schools within the T30 having a bit of a larger reach within a certain geographic area.  When you get to the IUPUIs and SLUs, you're going to be restricted to that city unless you happen to be at the top end of the class, and even then it will be an uphill battle.

Long story short (too late):  With a 3.8/160, I doubt you'll be able to crack into Wash. U. absent some other unmentioned factors.  However, you'll get accepted at most (if not all) of the respected regional schools you apply to and likely get good money from them as well.  Based on a lot of factors, I'd pick the SECONDARY market you like the most. If ambivalent, go with the secondary market that gives you the most money with the least GPA restrictions (with a heavy hand towards lesser GPA restrictions -- SLU would be good here, as there's is a 2.0 if memory serves).

A quick note on specialty ranks -- unless you have SOME meaningful exposure to the LEGAL aspects of that specialty (here, health law), pay them NO MIND!  You will likely change your mind several times as to what you want to do in law school and, even if you end up liking health law, the power of a specialty ranking is the source of a lot of debate...and for good reason.

Michigan 2010.  Brr.

Slice57

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 05:10:50 PM »
Have you looked into Missouri? If you do well you'll have an opportunity at all those big firms. The only difference is the amount of debt you're going to graduate with. SLU offered me $20K a year, but it still would have cost me like $60K to go there. Missouri offered $8K, but after getting in-state tuition it will be much cheaper. Also, with Missouri you'll have the option of Springfield/Kansas City if you don't end up liking STL.

my .02 cents

jobq48

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 12:59:50 PM »
Being from st. louis I would say most of the previous posts are pretty spot on. SLU is actually in the downtown area. If you are not familiar with St. Louis the majority of people live in the suburbs. It is just something to consider.  SLU has a good reputation in St. Louis especially.  I would say a SLU law degree competes pretty well against Missou in this market depending upon class rank.  With those numbers it wouldnt be shocking to see you get a half tuition scholarship which will put tuition equal to in state at Missou.  Missou would have more reach around the state though.

NMUZ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 11:48:57 AM »
I have applied to both IUPUI and SLU and am very interested in Healthcare law.  I too have to agree with what has been said here.  The two schools are very similar that they dominate the city they are located in and have good health law programs.  I applied ED to Indy and recently have been brought on to SLU, I like both schools.  I visited Indy and loved it, it is right in the downtown and Indy is a cheap place to live.  I have lower numbers than you and hope that I can get into one of the two.  I think you should be in easily at both and would consider which one gives you more money as both schools are expensive.