Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 3.6/167 Hispanic - Chances of Admission?  (Read 3475 times)

dcmadc120

• View Profile
3.6/167 Hispanic - Chances of Admission?
« on: October 28, 2008, 12:53:59 PM »
I am Hispanic student at a top 10 school with a 3.6 and a 167...what do you think my chances are at t14?  I was thinking about taking the LSAT again - I had been scoring higher in practice tests but worry that applying later would make any improvement negligible (with regard to rolling admissions).  Please let me know your thoughts.

Penn263

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 3.6/167 Hispanic - Chances of Admission?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 01:31:58 PM »
Of course you have a chance at the T14. Why wouldn't you? So apply to mostly all of the T14 schools, also consider some T14-T25 schools. That way you can shop around for the best offers. Don't apply early decision anywhere, once again, so you can shop around for the best offers. Also, just because you re-take the LSAT, you don't have to apply any later. You simply send out your applications now, and then LSAC will send them your updated LSAT score. In fact, you should already have sent out your applications. The earlier you apply the better. Last year, I sent out all my applications around 10/15. As for taking the LSAT again, only do so if you are fairly certain that a 167 doesn't accurately reflect your ability--are confident you can crack 170?
To whom much is given, much is expected.

dcmadc120

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 12:22:47 AM »
In my 7  practice tests leading up to the exam (many of which were proctored) I scored in between a 167 and a 177 with my median at about a 172.  As a hispanic student with my other credentials, I don't know if it is worth risking a lower or equal score on the December test knowing that a 167 is particularly strong for an URM.  I think I am going to register and see how I feel leading up to the exam.  On another note, would it be better to apply as "hispanic" or "chicano"?  I have always said I was hispanic but I do qualify for both.  Could this make a difference?   I think I am going to get my applications in by Dec.1 - I had wanted to turn them in earlier but certain parts of my application are taking longer than anticipated. 

rcamp28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 10:47:48 AM »
I have similar numbers as you and I'm also Hispanic and this is what I have been told by other candidates as well as an admissions consultant:

I was told to apply to all schools that I would be interested in going to between 1 and 25. Depending on how good your soft factors and essays are you have a realistic chance at every school in that range. I would say that you could for sure get into at least 2-3 of the T14 schools regardless of your soft factors, and more depending on what you have on that end.

I would be extremely cautious about taking the LSAT again because some schools will average your scores and unless you could boost the average to a 170 it's probably not worth it. In the end it will be your decision so do what you feel comfortable with, but this is essentially what I've been told. Good luck!

Penn263

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 12:49:03 PM »
1. In regards to your question of whether to note Hispanic or Chicano--I think it would depend on the school you're applying to. Check out the ethnic data on LSAC for each school you apply to. See which ethnic group is less represented and go with that one. The distinction shouldn't matter much though. If you're applying to schools in California, definitely put "Hispanic."

2. In regards to re-taking the LSAT, if you've taken proctored tests and have scored at 167 or higher it seems reasonable of an expectation to score higher if taken again. But keep in mind that scoring 168 or 169 isn't going to make a huge impact, so really it comes down to if you're confident that you'll do so much better that you can crack 170--in which case you should retake it. Also, if a school is on the fence as to whether or not to accept you, and aside from your LSAT score you are a good candidate for them, sometimes they will actually contact you and ask you to re-take the test (the Feb. test). It's rare, but it happened to me.

3. I would say to get those applications out sooner than that. I cannot overstate the importance of applying early. Why is it taking you so long? Remember that you can submit your application and then send letters of recommendation and updated LSAT or updated GPA information subsequently. All you really need to send right now is your application form, personal statement (and diversity statement!), and your resume. Trust me, the early the better. If you're having problems with your PS, DS, or resume message me and I will help you with it.
To whom much is given, much is expected.

princepointe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 03:30:47 AM »
Your pretty much in or waitlisted. I'm African-American male. Our numbers as far as representation are fairly close. I was accepted to Harvard,Yale,NYU,USC, and University of Texas. I had 3.6 with a 166. But get those applications in and go to a LSAC forum to meet the admissions reps. Believe me it helps when it comes to scholarships. The dean of admissions at one of the schools I mention personally reviewed my app and got me a scholarship pretty much because i'm a minority and wayyyy UR. Build those relationships early man.