Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Advantages of ED?  (Read 1288 times)

BJWriter26

Advantages of ED?
« on: October 27, 2008, 10:05:37 PM »
I'm a black URM at UCLA. Is there really a significant difference between applying regular versus ED?

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
Re: Advantages of ED?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 11:27:11 AM »
If you apply ED, you [most likely] won't get aid...and CLS is f-ing expensive.
Columbia 3L

BJWriter26

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 12:02:30 PM »
Yeah, I guessed as much. But would ED enhance my chances of getting in or would they be roughly the same if I applied regular?

AceKlub

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 01:53:31 PM »
BjWriter:

I'm a new poster to this site too, but I was looking through the past posts and came across 3 black individuals during last year's cycle with the following numbers who were admitted to CLS:

Lawesome: 3.88, 157
Wjkings08: 3.4, 160
curious1985: 3.3,160

I was thinking about applying ED too, but when I saw that each of these three individuals was admitted during RD, I decided against it. If you already attend an Ivy League school, your chances will be much better anyway.

Just my two cents.

Good look with the process

BJWriter26

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 04:16:56 PM »
Okay, thanks for the comments. Are you already in law school or applying this fall? Also, where did you find those three posters?

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 04:22:21 PM »

BJWriter26

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 04:37:35 PM »
I checked LSN but I couldn't find them. Do you have the exact link to their profiles?

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 04:48:07 PM »
Nope, I just assumed that's where he got them.

AceKlub

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 05:28:19 PM »
Here is the info from wjking08:

Here's the link if you wanna follow it.

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,26160.2510.html

Hey all, I am a senior African American Male at prestigious school (not Harvard) in Massachusetts, and I'm in the honors program, my gpa is 3.4 but I've gotten 3.55 and 3.7 the past two terms. I interned at the U.S Senate Judiciary Committee and the U.S Department of Labor the past summer and fall. I just scored a 160 on the LAST, I am a little disappointed and wanted to know the chances of getting into a great school, or should I retake the test?

You'll get into the lower t14, with a good shot at the upper, and reaching at CCN.  Out at YHS.

SO I HAVE A CHANCE AT PENN, UVA, AND GEORGETOWN... OR NO?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's the link to Lawesome:
http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,26160.2560.html

157 LSAT
3.88 GPA

score is really frustrating.

I see everyone who increases 10-15 pts by studying, and I took 6 months/ 10-15 practice tests and increased a total of four pts. 

Any recommendations on where I should have a good chance? im coming a year early out of undergrad, but worked part time (20-25 hrs.) during school

How much flexiblity can I have because of my high GPA? 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is the link from curious1985:

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,26160.2730.html

Hello all,
This is my first post, and i would greatly appreciate any insight on my application situation...I have read through most of these posts so i think i have an idea of where i might be accepted/rejected by my number alone...I just wanted to ask do my soft factors make a difference? Or are they too average? Please let me know what you think.THANKS IN ADVANCE! 

I sent all of my apps out by 12/1 [I do not know if that is early enough for admissions committees to take a chance on me] and I think my chances of acceptance to...

HYS...virtually none
t4-t10...maybe 1, but a very slim chance
t10-t14...maybe 1 or two, but still a slim chance
14-20...good chance at all
20-30...should get into most

3.3/160
top 20 undergrad
black
history of socio-economic disadvantage
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All of the info I gathered has been from this site, because I don't believe that LSN is any more helpful than the US News and World Report (nope, not even for minorities). I believe that the cloak of anonymity covers factual information that even minorities feel more comfortable sharing on a site such as this one. That said, the top two LSD members whose info i've posted above were admitted to CLS C/O 2011 as evidenced by their signatures with the law school name in them. I had to look at curious1985's past posts to find out that he was accepted to CLS (and no i'm not trippin, i did this bc we have similar softs...)

But yeah, from this info, i gather that admissions to CLS for AA is not properly gauged from looking at LSN where it seems like every body and their mother has 175+s and 3.5+s. Clearly, that is where a self-selected sample of type-A personalies and good test takers go to flaunt their acceptances and thereby make themeselves feel more confident. It seems as this site has a more laid back vibe and that's why I think more people open up about their real stats here.

BJWriter26

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 05:31:06 PM »
Thanks for the info Ace!