Law School Discussion

The Economy is Great. What's Everyone So Worried About?

gossard267

Re: The Economy is Great. What's Everyone So Worried About?
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 11:09:42 AM »
The economy isn't great, but it will be soon thanks to Paulson and the bail out plan.  Seriously, this is one of the best moves the Fed/Congress has ever made.  It is obvious that these government organizations have the prowess needed to help our economy through the rough times.  I think we're lucky to have elected officials like them in positions of power to help the USA steer clear of financial turbulance (in the long run).  I am really hoping for Obama to get elected in November, too.  That errorless monetary policy of the Fed, plus Obama's fiscal tax plan?  The USA will be globally DOMINANT in the world of economics!  We can finally show the rest of the globe what it means to be a truly capitalist nation.

I'm so happy to read this, as I couldn't agree more.  There is no better way to pull a country out of a recession than by large marginal tax rate increases on the investor/employer class.  It is established fact that increasing dividend and capital gains tax rates not only stems the tide of capital leaving for foreign markets, but also incents new investment in the local market!  And the bail-out is just icing on the cake - government intervention in the economy has a stellar track record not just in America, but globally as well.  Combine all of that good news with the very strong likelyhood of massive federal expansion into the health care field, and you have a sure-fire recipe for recovery and long-term prosperity.

For law students, the best part is that, thanks to these well thought-out policies, the boom economy that will soon be ushered in means less reliance on top 14 schools to secure lucrative positions.  The abysmal unemployment rates we have experienced during the last eight years will be reversed, thus shifting the bargaining power back to the freshly-minted law student, regardless of his or her school's ranking or prestige.  Now that, I think you'll agree, is change we can all believe in.

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 02:16:01 PM »
For law students, the best part is that, thanks to these well thought-out policies, the boom economy that will soon be ushered in means less reliance on top 14 schools to secure lucrative positions.

This is not good for all law students.

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 03:02:08 PM »
The economy isn't great, but it will be soon thanks to Paulson and the bail out plan.  Seriously, this is one of the best moves the Fed/Congress has ever made.  It is obvious that these government organizations have the prowess needed to help our economy through the rough times.  I think we're lucky to have elected officials like them in positions of power to help the USA steer clear of financial turbulance (in the long run).  I am really hoping for Obama to get elected in November, too.  That errorless monetary policy of the Fed, plus Obama's fiscal tax plan?  The USA will be globally DOMINANT in the world of economics!  We can finally show the rest of the globe what it means to be a truly capitalist nation.

I'm so happy to read this, as I couldn't agree more.  There is no better way to pull a country out of a recession than by large marginal tax rate increases on the investor/employer class.  It is established fact that increasing dividend and capital gains tax rates not only stems the tide of capital leaving for foreign markets, but also incents new investment in the local market!  And the bail-out is just icing on the cake - government intervention in the economy has a stellar track record not just in America, but globally as well.  Combine all of that good news with the very strong likelyhood of massive federal expansion into the health care field, and you have a sure-fire recipe for recovery and long-term prosperity.

For law students, the best part is that, thanks to these well thought-out policies, the boom economy that will soon be ushered in means less reliance on top 14 schools to secure lucrative positions.  The abysmal unemployment rates we have experienced during the last eight years will be reversed, thus shifting the bargaining power back to the freshly-minted law student, regardless of his or her school's ranking or prestige.  Now that, I think you'll agree, is change we can all believe in.

::pelvic swirl::

I'm so glad we're about to elect the senator from Illinois, or (as we'll know him in 4 years) Mr. Barack "Fiscal Policy Fiasco" Obama.

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 05:54:09 PM »
For law students, the best part is that, thanks to these well thought-out policies, the boom economy that will soon be ushered in means less reliance on top 14 schools to secure lucrative positions.

This is not good for all law students.

you're an idiot.

no u.

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2008, 06:24:55 PM »
I best understand sarcasm where sarcasm is best expressed: in real life. Something to do with intonation and facial expressions, I think. Funny thing is, I've spoken to quite a few political koolaiders who would readily make the pro-Obama arguments I've seen here. But the whole idiot-from-the-hip conclusion must be convenient.

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2008, 06:32:29 PM »
I'm devastated you might not be joining me. But do continue alt-posting on multiple accounts so that we might continue a relationship of some sort.

Don't blame yourself.  I don't think I could handle the thriving nightlife and social scene of Hyde Park.  It's best we ended this now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnY6iODk29M

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2008, 06:45:13 PM »
I wondered the same thing until I aced the LSAT's economics section. Couldn't believe it. Downhill from there, even though I feel like king of the mountain.

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2008, 06:49:01 PM »
This thread is stupid.  1L's shouldn't be allowed to access the internet.

Didn't you have less than 45 posts yesterday? 30 in 24 hours? Please don't tell me that's a 14th account.

And then Dennis's posts disappear. Hahaha, sad.

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2008, 07:15:08 PM »
The Econ thing is stupid.  I still don't know/care about econ, and I'm pretty sure that most of my classmates also came here for job prospects, not navel gazing theories that you need a PhD. to understand.

And your Hyde Park comment is even dumber.  Last time I checked, I can take the 6 and be in the Loop in fifteen minutes.  Whereas you have . . . what?  Detroit? 

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2008, 07:22:28 PM »
I wondered the same thing until I aced the LSAT's economics section. Couldn't believe it. Downhill from there, even though I feel like king of the mountain.

i thought sarcasm was the lowest form of humor?

I think you're confusing irony with sarcasm. s'ok.