Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: First Year - Things you needed/wished you had  (Read 2227 times)

BaylorBear08

• View Profile
First Year - Things you needed/wished you had
« on: October 27, 2008, 02:18:45 PM »
I have a friend who will be starting law school next fall. From you seasoned veterans, what are some items (books, random things, etc) that you found neccessary, or at least very helpful, during you first year?

Thanks!

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: First Year - Things you needed/wished you had
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 02:27:51 PM »
I seriously cannot recommend enough reading this book before you start law school. Hands down it will do more for you than anything else you can read before school starts. Guerrilla Tactics for Getting the Legal Job of Your Dreams, 2d  http://www.amazon.com/Guerrilla-Tactics-Getting-Dreams-Employment/dp/0314176772/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1225131669&sr=8-1

Other than that a good printer than does not use a ton of ink and prints on both sides automatically is nice.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

fertsru

• ICQ Messenger - 483674619
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 09:07:45 PM »
I'd say $$$$$$ but you probably already figured that one out on your own.  :D
Per aspera ad astra.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 09:33:48 PM »
I seriously cannot recommend enough reading this book before you start law school. Hands down it will do more for you than anything else you can read before school starts. Guerrilla Tactics for Getting the Legal Job of Your Dreams, 2d  http://www.amazon.com/Guerrilla-Tactics-Getting-Dreams-Employment/dp/0314176772/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1225131669&sr=8-1

Other than that a good printer than does not use a ton of ink and prints on both sides automatically is nice.

Agreed 150% w/ the book rec.  And a scanner (whether a combo printer/scanner or a stand alone) is helpful in addition to a printer.

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 10:27:49 PM »
Laser printer. I got an ink jet and it smears like crazy.

mqt

• Sr. Citizen
  • cellar door
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 11:48:22 PM »
Laser printer. I got an ink jet and it smears like crazy.

I used the printers in the law library....for three years.  Never much of a problem.  They were huge and modern...probably cost about $10,000 a piece, so they printed really well, and much better than anything I could have hoped to buy myself.  Sure, I had a cheap printer at home, and in a pinch, it did the job.  But, seriously, I can't even begin to describe the extent to which one does not need a ridiculously expensive printer.  Even when I printed at home, on my $100 HP, the print quality never seemed to impact my grade. 

Best advice:  there is nothing "law school" related for a gift that will somehow magically elevate your friend to superstar status.  Get him/her something meaningful between the two of you, that he/she will appreciate, as those are the best gifts, regardless of whether the person happens to be starting law school.  There are no books, etc, that make good gifts, because pretty much everything is available electronically, or else dictated by the requirements of particular classes.  What would you get the person if he/she was about to embark on a 2-year trip throughout Europe, start a new job, get married, or any other significant life-event?  Law school is a big deal when you start, and it is a significant life event, so go with your heart, but don't try to find something "law-school" specific, or else you'll just end up getting him/her something that he keeps on the big, disheveled pile on the bottom of his/her bookshelf.   

SCOOTERNINJA

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 12:35:16 AM »
A good law school gift is anything that says more than 15% alcohol by volume on the label.

As far as printing...I am pretty sure that everyone in law school takes ridiculous advantage of the free lexis and westlaw printing.

"That One"

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 01:01:09 AM »
A good law school gift is anything that says more than 15% alcohol by volume on the label.

As far as printing...I am pretty sure that everyone in law school takes ridiculous advantage of the free lexis and westlaw printing.

I concur

mqt

• Sr. Citizen
  • cellar door
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 02:19:34 AM »

Everclear says more than 15% ABV on the label.  It's cheap, too.  But I'm not sure if that's quite the "welcome-to-hating-your-life" kind of gift one would want to give. 

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 09:04:13 AM »
Adderall.