Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Dec. LSAT study schedule  (Read 2596 times)

CF25

• View Profile
Dec. LSAT study schedule
« on: October 27, 2008, 12:08:55 PM »
I took the LSAT in Oct. and got a 153 after completing the Kaplan extreme class. Am I better off studying on my own for the Dec. LSAT or retaking Kaplan?

FutureLawyer9

• View Profile
Re: Dec. LSAT study schedule
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 02:18:49 PM »
I took the LSAT in Oct. and got a 153 after completing the Kaplan extreme class. Am I better off studying on my own for the Dec. LSAT or retaking Kaplan?

I fully recommend the PowerScore class or the PowerScore Bibles (www.powerscore.com).  I previously took a full-length Kaplan review class and am currently enrolled in the PowerScore Full-length LSAT prep class and I can speak from experience that the methods used, explanations and the PS materials overall are far superior than Kaplan's class or materials.  If you search for Kaplan vs. PowerScore or Testmasters or Princeton Review here you will find other threads discussing the differences between the prep classes. This time, I did quite a bit of research to determine exactly what prep class would be the "best" fit for me.  I did not do that prior to enrolling in the Kaplan prep class. I chose PS over Testmasters (TM) due to the fact that TMs does not provide detailed explanations within the TM course books (I've been told from posting on this website) that the reason for this is so no one can "steal" the TM methods.  In only four PS lessons and reading the provided in-class materials as well as the supplemental PS Bible chapters provided to students via the PS website and completing homework, I already have seen a tremendous increase in understanding of the content and approaches to reaching the correct answers. In addition for my support of PS, I became a close acquaintance of my Kaplan instructor and she confirmed during my research that it is in fact true, that the Kaplan LSAT prep instructors are "trained" along side other Kaplan GMAT, SAT instructors and there is no specific training for LSAT instructors such as with PowerScore and TM. And, my instructor for Kaplan was a good instructor, for me, it was obviously the lack of clear methods and explanations. Also, Kaplan does not require a certain LSAT score of it's instructors where PS requires instructors to score in the 99th percentile and I think TM has the same requirement. While I am sure that Kaplan benefits some students, for me it was a loss of money and time.  There is a weekend course for PS, but not sure what area you are in.  I would check PS website for class locales.  I think with your current LSAT score as a baseline, if you are disciplined, you may benefit from purchasing the PS Bibles to study on your own and/or the weekend class.  My prep class started mid-October for Dec. LSAT.  There will probably be other comments (either negating or supporting) my posting so good luck with your decision and the December LSAT..

danmcd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 04:25:00 PM »
I'd also recommend powerscore over kaplan any day....I took the full length kaplan course a few years ago, did not benefit from it. I'm currently in the middle of the online powerscore course (I'm sure the full class would be better, but they don't offer it nearby) and it's been a huge boost. I did a lot of research before dropping another $1000 on an LSAT course, and the basic consensus I got off of these forums was that the best is powerscore, then TM, then the rest of them...people either love or hate kaplan for whatever reason. anyway, i'd recommend powerscore, in any form (even if you just buy the bibles and study on your own), but the thing is to now just sit down and go nuts studyin for the next month. good luck with whoever you choose!

CF25

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 04:45:10 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated. I will definitely be checking in to Powerscore.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 07:13:47 PM »
december test be hardest ever.

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
  • My ego isnt LSD strong but I still want to play.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 08:52:43 PM »
december test be hardest ever.

Yawn

I will admit, your exact same comment above got me going when I was a noob, I was like "what information do you have to make you think that (blank) text will be harder.." Ha!

But now whenever I see you make that comment I just think.."Poor Julie.."

Birds of a feather flock together.

LSN

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 08:02:17 AM »
[yawn]

geospear

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 12:27:22 AM »
[yawn]
\
What's wrong? Just let it all out. I am being serious ... I'm here in cyber space for ya.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 08:26:19 AM »
[yawn]
\
What's wrong? Just let it all out. I am being serious ... I'm here in cyber space for ya.

you should be studying, not sniffing julie's booty.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 08:27:39 AM »
[yawn]
\
Dude, you been paying attention? She is all mine when she stumbles into my door with no bra on every few nights.

and you should be cleaning up after your last masturbatory session.  (there go another of your mommy's undies.)