Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is there flexibility in your 1st year Course Load --full time--  (Read 2241 times)

hansrob00

• View Profile
    • Email
Is there flexibility in your 1st year Course Load --full time--
« on: October 27, 2008, 01:03:28 AM »
I still have 3 more years in the US army reserves.  This takes up a weekend of my time and the friday of that week once a month.  Will I be able to attend law school full time assuming I don't work and this obligation or would maybe part time be a better option?

For the record, I like the unit that I am at, I would like to do both successfully if possible.

I have looked at other law schools and generally a full time law school student takes 12-16 credits.

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Is there flexibility in your 1st year Course Load --full time--
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 01:09:12 AM »
I still have 3 more years in the US army reserves.  This takes up a weekend of my time and the friday of that week.  Will I be able to attend law school full time assuming I don't work and this obligation or would maybe part time be a better option?

For the record, I like the unit that I am at, I would like to do both successfully if possible.

I have looked at other law schools and generally a full time law school student takes 12-16 credits.

It's possible that there are exceptions, but all the law students I've talked to had no flexibility their first year.  Your classes are chosen for you, and all 1Ls take the same subjects.
ABA rules allow you to work up to 20 hours a week, but your law school mike have more strict rules.  At my law school you could probably get away with working weekends if you worked your butt off during the week.

JusAbstinendi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 01:21:28 AM »
My school requires 18 hours the first semester but it's really your call if you go to class or not. We have Friday classes but I dare say missing one Friday per week wouldn't hurt you.

A word of caution: At least one law school has professors who require class attendance. It would be wise to research law schools in order to discover which schools have more leniency in absenteeism.
University of Chicago '11

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 01:35:23 PM »
My school requires 18 hours the first semester but it's really your call if you go to class or not. We have Friday classes but I dare say missing one Friday per week wouldn't hurt you.

A word of caution: At least one law school has professors who require class attendance. It would be wise to research law schools in order to discover which schools have more leniency in absenteeism.

My school requires attendance.  You miss too many classes, you don't sit for the final.  You don't sit for the final, you fail.
To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.

Kevin.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 08:29:02 PM »
First year you're really leaving it up to chance as to what your Fridays look like, and if it's possible to miss once a month.  I can't imagine a professor actually telling you that your service wouldn't be an excused absence, so really it's all about whether or not you can handle missing a day of classes and a weekend of potential study time once a month.

In my experience at least, I don't think it would be that much of a problem - I'd say once a month at least half of our class is hungover for Friday class and doesn't spend the weekend studying until Sunday night.  I vote that it's certainly possible with the right amount of pre-planning and extra work to make sure you're not behind.
Vandy Law 2011

yehudis

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 03:17:59 PM »
I still have 3 more years in the US army reserves.  This takes up a weekend of my time and the friday of that week once a month.  Will I be able to attend law school full time assuming I don't work and this obligation or would maybe part time be a better option?

I wanted to work and was told law students should not be working.  I assumed that meant there was no flexibility. 

Kevin.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 11:14:21 AM »

I wanted to work and was told law students should not be working.  I assumed that meant there was no flexibility. 

As a general rule, it's not a great idea to have a job as a 1L, but that doesn't mean that your schedule can't flex to allow it if it's important.  It's more of a paternalistic piece of advice than an indication of how flexible a law student's schedule can be.
Vandy Law 2011

mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 05:00:43 AM »
User has been banned for spam.

-PJC