Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UC Irvine offering full ride to entering 09s, but it's non-aba accredited.  (Read 590 times)

Kantian

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
If you graduate while the school is still non-aba accredited, and becomes accredited after graduation, will your degree still have the same merit as a degree granted from accredited schools?

http://www.abajournal.com/news/law_school_free_to_uc_irvines_entering_2009_class

oh, and don't forget to read replies by "Ellen" for a good laugh.

hitmon33

• View Profile
    • Email
Interesting...anyone more knowledgeable than me have any thoughts?

Kantian

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Interesting...anyone more knowledgeable than me have any thoughts?

UC Irvine, in terms of their UG, is a legit tier 1. As for the law school, free tuition thing at this time is in bit of a paradox. it makes sense to get a JD for free during bad economy, but you are risking your life in the long run by gambling with a non-accredited school. Worst case scenario is you sit next to a cubical with a cooley grad. Best case scenario is you are ahead of everyone by an average of $75k.

orangegrl911

• View Profile
my boss (well, ex-boss) quit his job in the IT department here at ucla law to work at UCI. i am not sure about the whole accredited thing, but i know i will be applying to UCI especially with everything my ex-boss has been telling me. the UCI application is quite comprehensive, requiring an additional statement to the personal statement and requiring 3 letters of recommendation. there are also a bunch of optional statements, like about diversity and whatnot, that you can provide. only 60 students are going to be accepted, and i know that a lot of faculty from other top-tier law schools were recruited to teach at UCI. i dunno, being a part of the first-class of a law school seems appealing, especially it being a small class (getting to know professor's on a really intimate level) and, of course, because it will be free.

i've also been told that they will be only accepting those with high gpa's and high lsat scores b/c they want to be a top tier law school asap. anyway i just incoherently spit out all i know about UCI law, sorry

Kantian

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
my boss (well, ex-boss) quit his job in the IT department here at ucla law to work at UCI. i am not sure about the whole accredited thing, but i know i will be applying to UCI especially with everything my ex-boss has been telling me. the UCI application is quite comprehensive, requiring an additional statement to the personal statement and requiring 3 letters of recommendation. there are also a bunch of optional statements, like about diversity and whatnot, that you can provide. only 60 students are going to be accepted, and i know that a lot of faculty from other top-tier law schools were recruited to teach at UCI. i dunno, being a part of the first-class of a law school seems appealing, especially it being a small class (getting to know professor's on a really intimate level) and, of course, because it will be free.

i've also been told that they will be only accepting those with high gpa's and high lsat scores b/c they want to be a top tier law school asap. anyway i just incoherently spit out all i know about UCI law, sorry

I don't think too many top students (170+/3.6+) will choose free tuition at such risk vs. sure $$ at top schools. but 60 is a pretty small number and they just might pull this off.