Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Clerkship Suitability  (Read 4035 times)

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Clerkship Suitability
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 09:40:09 AM »
The curve is 3.25-3.27.

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 12:52:45 PM »
hmmm, that's what i was afraid of. thanks as always folks

Do you have a job lined up?  If you couldn't get a law firm gig, surely you should know that a clerkship is out of the question.  I call flame.

To be fair, he phrased the question in a manner that suggested he wasn't going to get anything especially prestigious.  But, while federal clerkships require strong credentials, plenty of people with rather poor grades end up clerking for magistrates or state courts.  Whether or not those are considered "semi-respectable" is really just a matter of perspective. 
I am officially a law school graduate : )

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 12:54:03 PM »
Clerking for a magistrate is a waste of time.  I mean are you serious?  "Your honor, for the speeding violation the case law is x."

gubdowb83

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 02:56:25 PM »
not a flame, just a posting from a very uninformed 3L...as you guys know, they don't give you your class rank until graduation. since the median is a B+ (which ranges from a 3.1something to a 3.3something [i think]), I assumed I was somewhere in the middle of the class. dudeman, take it easy, no need to get your panties in an uproar, I was just looking for feedback.

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2008, 03:02:31 PM »
Did you summer last year?

They tell you your class rank at graduation?  Are you sure about that?  I didn't think GW ever tells anything other than top 15%, top 35%.

gubdowb83

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2008, 03:46:50 PM »
yes, you get your rank at graduation. ppl in the top 15% and 35% get awards prior to graduation (as early as first year) which lets them know what their rank is in rough terms (i.e. that they are in the top 15% or 35% but nothing more specific than that). Also, if you happen to know what GPA would put you in the top 50%, I'd like to know

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2008, 04:09:00 PM »
It varies, but it is my understanding that the curve is a 3.25-3.27 curve.  So if you are 3.25-3.27 you are around the median.

So you actually get a number at graduation?  No kidding?  What's the point of that haha?

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2008, 06:41:54 PM »
It varies, but it is my understanding that the curve is a 3.25-3.27 curve.  So if you are 3.25-3.27 you are around the median.

So you actually get a number at graduation?  No kidding?  What's the point of that haha?

yea, you get actual numbers at graduation when it has no point.  We got an email concerning judicial clerkships where they said that they will release a better breakdown to us (on a 5% increment) if we apply through OSCAR.  They also give our actual percentage to professors to be used if the professors want to write recommendations.  Its crazy though because even if we use one of these options to find it out, we are prohibited from using our actual ranking for any application at all. 

This hurt me a lot because my GPA is respectable but the GW scholar doesnt really tell employers much.

gubdowb83

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2008, 07:16:50 PM »
yeah, it's a silly policy. anyway, thanks for info gents. best of luck.