Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Clerkship Suitability  (Read 4002 times)

gubdowb83

• View Profile
Clerkship Suitability
« on: October 26, 2008, 02:56:16 PM »
I'm a third yr at GW w/ 3.2 (puts me in the top 50%), do I have any realistic chances of landing a semi-respectable clerkship at this point?

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: Clerkship Suitability
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 04:28:09 PM »
Its pretty late for federal clerkship apps, but maybe not state talk to carear services about state options
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 02:46:03 AM »
Do you have journal experience?  Have you published?  Anything else notable?  Why are you applying so late?

At this point, most of the good fed clerkships are taken.  However, some judges hire often the timeline, so check OSCAR to see what might still be available.  If you don't have anything else going for you, you're not likely to be a good candidate for a fed district court clerkship.  However, magistrate judges might be a good target, as long as you stay away from DC/NYC. 

Also, as the year progresses, judges will continue to be appointed to the bench (confirmations should especially pick up after the elections).  These judges will need clerks immediately, which can be a good way to luck into a clerkship without stellar qualifications.  As soon as a judge is confirmed, call the courthouse to get their contact info and send them an application.   Stay up to date here: http://www.usdoj.gov/olp/nominations.htm

State courts vary, but many hire close to the federal timeline.  Talk to your career services office immediately.
I am officially a law school graduate : )

smiley

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 06:09:03 AM »
By "semi-respectable" do you mean federal?

Like the wise Matthies and Legapp said, you should be talking to your school's clerkship advisor immediately. They have knowledge regarding what judges are still posting on OSCAR for 2009 openings (and many have already slated for 2010) and they will be able to accurately assess your competitiveness or suggest possible routes for you. It is a bit late in the whole process to just be getting started.  If you are interested in doing a state clerkship, there may be more opportunities since many states hire close to the federal plan, but aren't bound by it. This will require identifying potential states and thinking about your personal connections there/reasons for wanting to clerk, and then calling chambers to check on the hiring situation. Some state judges may not have even started, where some will be done.

Also, I don't know if you have done this or not, but if you are planning on applying for any clerkships you will need to get your recommendations in order.

Good luck!

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 09:15:33 AM »
Dude, first off a 3.2 is not top 50% at GW.  Second of all, this has to be a flame.  To get a worthwhile clerkship outta GW you have to be top of the class, law review, etc....  Federal clerkships aren't easy to get and GW doesn't have much pull outside the top of the class.

gubdowb83

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 10:38:58 PM »
hmmm, that's what i was afraid of. thanks as always folks

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 09:03:15 AM »
hmmm, that's what i was afraid of. thanks as always folks

Do you have a job lined up?  If you couldn't get a law firm gig, surely you should know that a clerkship is out of the question.  I call flame.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 09:18:07 AM »
I'm a third yr at GW w/ 3.2 (puts me in the top 50%), do I have any realistic chances of landing a semi-respectable clerkship at this point?

there are law review kids in the top 15% that struck out this year.  It is probably too late in the game for anything to materialize.  If you are interested in state clerkships, that may be something to consider though.  I think this year all clerkships will be harder to get because the economy sucks and people are trying to line up backup plans in case their firms go under.

And, I doubt you are a flame.  I dont know why there are idiots that only reply to posts to say completely unconstructive sh*t like that.

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 09:37:26 AM »
Look at you Thorc, calling me names now lol.

You seriously believe that someone that has spent 3 years at GW doesn't know where they stand with a particular GPA and honestly believes they have clerkship opportunities without being top of the class?

I've got a bridge to sell ya.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 09:39:23 AM »
Hahaha, I thought our curve was at a 3.2?  Is it a 3.3?

I would hope he knows his clerkship options, but I figured it was more wishful thinking rather than being a flame.

hahah, and I forgot that we were LSD friends, I retract my negative statements.