Law School Discussion

BU vs. BC

BU vs. BC
« on: October 26, 2008, 07:11:13 AM »
Any thoughts about how these two schools compare in terms of national reputation and job placement?  They seem to be equally selective...  Would a 3.8/164 be competitive at either or both of them?

middlepath

• contemplate, contemplate, contemplate
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: BU vs. BC
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 12:00:49 PM »
Green7,

As far as I know and can tell, BU seems to fare better in terms of its students landing elite law firm jobs etc. This may be because it has a much larger alumni base than BC. Whenever I have to go beyond US News and World rankings and/or what is gotten through the respective websites for the schools, I turn to Brian Leiter's rankings:

http://www.leiterrankings.com/new/index.shtml

Leiter is a philosopher (a Nietzsche scholar) of law. He recently moved from UT-Austin (where he held a prestigious, tenured position) to U Chicago (which is also a tenured, prestigious position) and I have high regards for his rankings (both in Philosophy and in Law). These are not, however, his personal opinions. The rankings have advisory boards and their methodologies seem to be pretty solid. But I think I will like BC campus better than BU's. I have been to Boston twice. I have been around the BU Law School area but not to the BC law school. So that's what I am basing my judgment on, for what it's worth.

In short, the different rankings at Leiter's leads me to believe that BU has some edge over BC.

Update: What I meant above about liking the campuses is this: I really am not enthused about spending 3 years in the BU Law School area. I am not fond of high-rises that overlooks a major road of a big city. I am more into wooded campuses. But those who go to BU (or BC, for that matter) can provide a better perspective about what the campus life is really like.

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 01:26:15 PM »
Just to add my two cents, I went to Boston (my favorite city ever!) this summer and visited both of these schools.  With a 3.8/164, you would definitely be competitive at both of these schools.  And as far as placement, they seem to be very similar.

The BC law building/campus is much prettier than BU's, though BU is more in the city, so it has that hustle and bustle to it, which I like.  BC is nestled in a forested suburban area, while BU is a 17 story building between a river and train tracks.  So, for what it's worth...

dischord

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 02:12:37 PM »
Just to add my two cents, I went to Boston (my favorite city ever!) this summer and visited both of these schools.  With a 3.8/164, you would definitely be competitive at both of these schools.  And as far as placement, they seem to be very similar.

The BC law building/campus is much prettier than BU's, though BU is more in the city, so it has that hustle and bustle to it, which I like.  BC is nestled in a forested suburban area, while BU is a 17 story building between a river and train tracks.  So, for what it's worth...

I go to BC but I live about 5-10 minutes from BU, and the commute to BC is still totally manageable.  So FWIW, picking one or the other doesn't also mean choosing between living in the city or the burbs -- you could easily do what I'm doing or you could go to BU and live in the suburbs.  It's even easier if you've got a car.  Furthermore, the attractiveness of the campus probably won't matter during the day because both school's facilities are enclosed in one building, so it's not like you're going to be walking through the quad and admiring the scenery either way. 

BC's facilities, however, are prettier.  Unless you're into brutalism, I guess.

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 02:14:12 PM »

I go to BC but I live about 5-10 minutes from BU, and the commute to BC is still totally manageable.  So FWIW, picking one or the other doesn't also mean choosing between living in the city or the burbs -- you could easily do what I'm doing or you could go to BU and live in the suburbs.  It's even easier if you've got a car.  Furthermore, the attractiveness of the campus probably won't matter during the day because both school's facilities are enclosed in one building, so it's not like you're going to be walking through the quad and admiring the scenery either way. 

BC's facilities, however, are prettier.  Unless you're into brutalism, I guess.

Very true.  I liked both of them a lot, anyways.  Love Boston.

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 09:18:42 AM »
I've been to BU's campus, but not BC's yet.  Any thoughts from current students at either?  What you like/ don't like, etc.?

CTL

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 09:49:04 AM »
BC's campus makes BU's campus look like a hideously ugly tower in a crappy part of Boston.  Oh wait, BU's campus does that to itself.

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 09:49:54 AM »
I'm a senior at BU (applying to BU, BC and a bunch of other schools). Personally, I love the BU campus for what it is. Its a mile and a 1/2 along a busy Boston road (Comm Ave). The law building is pretty intimidating (well, ugly), but the student center next door (GSU) is nice and you have some greenery and pretty architecture close by. I love the feeling of walking through a city on my way to class and its great to have Fenway Park, Harvard Square, the Boston Commons, and lots of other cool sites within a short public transport./walking distance. Plus, you can find pretty cheap housing down the road in Allston/Brighton and the campus is definitely "bike-able," not to mention you have the T(trolley) that runs right through campus. Another cool advantage is that the Law building is located right on campus and you'll meet lots of undergrads, law students, and grad students.Ooo and worth mentioning, BU always has a lot of high profile speakers and I've heard the law professors are great.

But, if you want a real campus...BC is probably the way to go. I currently live between BU and BC so neither would be a big adjustment for me.

hope that helps,

Joe

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 10:22:00 AM »
My previous post must have seemed like I was concerned about campus aesthetics, but I don't really mind all that much about that, to be honest.  I meant about likes and dislikes of either school in general.  Any idea how BU and BC compare in the percentage of graduates receiving judicial clerkships?  Thanks so much for the responses, everyone!

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 10:26:57 AM »
Green7,

As far as I know and can tell, BU seems to fare better in terms of its students landing elite law firm jobs etc. This may be because it has a much larger alumni base than BC. Whenever I have to go beyond US News and World rankings and/or what is gotten through the respective websites for the schools, I turn to Brian Leiter's rankings:

http://www.leiterrankings.com/new/index.shtml

Leiter is a philosopher (a Nietzsche scholar) of law. He recently moved from UT-Austin (where he held a prestigious, tenured position) to U Chicago (which is also a tenured, prestigious position) and I have high regards for his rankings (both in Philosophy and in Law). These are not, however, his personal opinions. The rankings have advisory boards and their methodologies seem to be pretty solid. But I think I will like BC campus better than BU's. I have been to Boston twice. I have been around the BU Law School area but not to the BC law school. So that's what I am basing my judgment on, for what it's worth.

In short, the different rankings at Leiter's leads me to believe that BU has some edge over BC.

Update: What I meant above about liking the campuses is this: I really am not enthused about spending 3 years in the BU Law School area. I am not fond of high-rises that overlooks a major road of a big city. I am more into wooded campuses. But those who go to BU (or BC, for that matter) can provide a better perspective about what the campus life is really like.

From what I've gathered, I've heard that BC has the bigger alumni network. Also, I believe the general consensus is BU does a little bit better in NYC, while BC does better in Boston