Law School Discussion

LSAT discrepancy addendum

LSAT discrepancy addendum
« on: October 25, 2008, 07:21:36 PM »
My LSAT score jumped from a 159 to a 169.  I know I should write an addendum to explain a 10 point jump, but what do they want to hear?  I don't have any specific horrible thing that happened to me on the June exam, the October exam just went much better for me.  Any specific things I should make sure to say/not to say?

Imperial Russian Stout!

• The Evil Stork!
    • View Profile
Re: LSAT discrepancy addendum
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 02:03:13 AM »
I think the score jump speaks for itself.  No addendum needed.

clairel

• UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 09:50:52 AM »
I think the score jump speaks for itself.  No addendum needed.

this.

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 01:36:33 PM »
I had a similar jump (158 to 171), and I can say that I was sick and other mitigating circumstances with the June test, but I need to figure out how to say that all without sounding like I'm complaining and just making excuses...  I'll keep it short and to the point.  They don't want to hear sob stories anyways...

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 03:09:21 PM »
I'm in the same boat, I jumped from 160 in June to 172 in October.  I attended a law school preview day at my #1 choice and the Dean of Admissions advised that if there was a signifigant difference in your score, submit an essay explaining which one you feel most accurately indicates your abilities.  (The highest...duh) 

I think the main difference for me was that the test center in June was atrocious.  Between that and the extra study time, my October score better reflects what I can do.  I'm a non-trad and I work 50+ hours a week so I know I can include that, but I don't want to just whine about the first test facility.  In short, I don't want to just complain and wouldn't write an addendum if the dean hadn't explicitly said to do so.

Any ideas?

Imperial Russian Stout!

• The Evil Stork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 09:04:05 PM »
What is the point in writing an addendum for something that is completely obvious to a moron, let alone a professional who specializes in evaluating applications?  You have nothing to gain and can only lose by coming off as an idiot, egomaniac, or whiny excuse-maker.  Even if you manage to write the best addendum they've EVER read...when you boil it down it'll read like this.

Addendum:

I just wanted to explain the difference between my two LSAT scores of 140 and 170 because I was insincere about it. $hit happened during my first score.  My LSAT score of 170 is more reflective of what I think I can do.  Please don't hold the 140 against me.  Thanks